Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I’m going crazy. I’ve read almost all the forums, but I need help. 65 mustang v8 with bendix power steering. I replaced the control valve with a rebuilt one, all new hoses. It no longer leaks. But the steering goes crazy from end to end. Is it getting rid of the air? See my video.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
You have the hoses swapped on the control valve.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Yep, hoses are backwards. Be careful running the car and doing that- if the wheel starts spinning wildly, it could break your wrist pretty easily.

The power of hydraulics is no joke!

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
When installed, it should look like this

·
Registered
610 Posts
I had the same problem a few years ago that was discovered after the restoration. I had never driven the car until after the restoration. IF your hoses are installed correctly then you may have the same issue that I had. My PO had apparently had the valve rebuilt. There were times that I drove and as I turned the wheel the wheel was jerked from my hands. The situation seemed worse with increased engine speed. Scared me. I queried the forums with no sound advice until Dan at Chockostang chimed in. I called him and he told me that he knew what the problem was and that he would fix it. I get that. He's in business to make a buck. I sent the valve to him and he fixed it and called me to explain the issue. I'm not going to share what my problem was but Dan may chime in here. Some things are better left to the professionals. Dave R.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
If for certain the shortie are installed correctly, then it is the spool is not centering. Can't begin the write the things to look at test, measure, etc.,

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Better get the pressure and return clamped down to keep the tubing secure.
If you don't, it will Wizz fluid everywhere in a few more turns.

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
I wasn’t aware that the high-pressure lines going from the control valve to the power steering cylinder had to be secured to the control valve body itself via a hose clamp, (or whatever). etc.... Is that how it came from Ford??

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I wasn’t aware that the high-pressure lines going from the control valve to the power steering cylinder had to be secured to the control valve body itself via a hose clamp, (or whatever). etc.... Is that how it came from Ford??
Clamp pressure and return that goes to PUMP---See picture.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Another picture of mine with clamp ,,,,
I do remember having problems visualizing the routing and orientation of the shorties. It like looking at a mirror upside down

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Another picture of mine with clamp ,,,,
View attachment 747906 I do remember having problems visualizing the routing and orientation of the shorties. It like looking at a mirror upside down
Excellent work!!!
All need to view these pictures of Knapper. This is exactly how all 67-70 Big Block cars, and al 69-70 --All motors 69-70.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts