Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, back on line after moving the computer. Over the weekend I received my Flaming River control vavle and power steering cylinder to install on my 70 (although I am having second thoughts and am thinking maybe my idler arm is shot). The box has in big black lettering, do not install without reading instructions. Wow, seems obvious. Well guess what, no instructions came with the parts. Is this a trick like those cards that say on each side, "how do you keep an idiot busy (over)". Anyway, is there any special trick to this. I figure just take off the old, bolt on the new and make sure none of the hoses are reversed. I seem to recall post of yesteryear talking about centering the ball and pivot attachment that is part of the control valve mechanism. Huh? My front steering is pretty bad and the front tires shake like popcorn popping when I make a left turn, and when I make a right turn, my steering radious is reduced. hmmm.

All hints, suggestions, insults, and encourgagement accepted.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I know on my '68, There is a speific measurement for the amount the ctrl valve screws onto the center link. On mine it is, if I remember correctly 4-5/8". That is from the grease zerk on the ctrl valve to the center of where the inner tie rod connects to the center link. Your shop manual will have this procedure, I know mine did.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ken, I just happened to have the 1970 Ford Mustang car shop manual in front of me because I am doing some adjustment work on my 1970 PS setup which my friends and I originally put on the car back in 1988. Here is the Ford procedure for adjusting the PS Control Valve:

1) Thread the valve onto the center link until about four threads are still visible on the link.
2) Position the ball stud in the sector shaft arm ( which I think they mean the Pitman arm ).
3) Measure the distance between the center of the grease plug in the sleeve and the stud at the inner end of the left spindle connecting rod. The distance should be 4+ 7/8 inches for Mustang and Cougar. If the distance is not correct, disconnect the ball stud from the sector shaft arm and turn the valve on the center link to increase or decrease the distance.

By the way, when we did the original retrofit on my car, the parts kit that I bought from Roger Rode in Ohio included a different Pitman arm than the manual steering Pitman arm as well as a different center link. Did you get these parts as well ?

-Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts