Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just recieved my power steering kit my car was manual . whats a ruff estimate of time it will take me with air tools and lift to install the hole kit ?
triing to see how much time il have to reserve my buddies lift for

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
In our shop (Before we retired) 8 Hours cruising.

In the neighbors shop, Tractor mechanics 12 Hours

In the local Goodyear deal 16 PLUS Hours (many returns)

The corner novice 18-24 Hours

The unaware, totally void of basic mechanics-------------------------? Your screwed.

·
Registered
806 Posts
You didn't say what kit it is, borgeson or R&P? Assuming borgeson. You can do the entire swap with a set of jack-stands, over a weekend, by yourself. You'd probably be stepping on each other if you had a second set of hands, but could do it in a day. The borgeson swap uses the existing manual center link, but uses a different pitman arm. Did you get the new pitman arm with the kit? Half the time will be spent bolting in the pump and plumbing the hoses, hopefully they're clocked and cut to length. An R&P should be fairly similar. The issues to look for, steering shaft alignment to the box (may need to shim the box), cut your steering shaft if stock (IDITIT column is a nice add at this time) Because the hose ends are crimped in place it doesn't give you allot of leeway and the ability to turn the hose. Had to remove/cut and reclock my high pressure line to get a good fit. Had to take mine to a hydr shop to have a new end put on it, and turned 45*.

CHOCK beat me to it. You gotta know your ability, this isn't hard, just time consuming. Remember to burp the system once you have it together by turning the wheel left and right. Suggestion, prime the box by filling it with fluid after its bolted in before you attach the lines, less time to clear/burp the system. There shouldn't be a need to do a realignment because you shouldn't need to change the centerlink or tie rods.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In our shop (Before we retired) 8 Hours cruising.

In the neighbors shop, Tractor mechanics 12 Hours

In the local Goodyear deal 16 PLUS Hours (many returns)

The corner novice 18-24 Hours

The unaware, totally void of basic mechanics-------------------------? Your screwed.
loll hi Dan the kit arived today and i got the proper bracket for my alternator since mine was on a tensionor . monday im putting it in cant wait to have p/s lol

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and i forgot to mention i ordered the full kit from Dan Chocko Stang on the weekend and got it at my house in canada today . great + fast service !

·
Registered
855 Posts
i just recieved my power steering kit my car was manual . whats a ruff estimate of time it will take me with air tools and lift to install the hole kit ?
triing to see how much time il have to reserve my buddies lift for
If you have stock manual and are converting to stock power I would guestemate a weekends worth of work. No air tools needed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts