Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 66 mustang with a 289 and power steering. The steering is a little "jerky". Not totally smooth, it sometimes feels like it "catches", or gets stuck momentarily. Lubing the entire front end helped, but it still happens. The steering also does not "return" back to center the way it should. Adjusted the steering box, it helped a little, but the problem still exists. Pump seems to be working fine, and is topped off with fluid. Any suggestions??? ::

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sounds like a control valve problem to me. Does it feel like you are getting more power assist one direction than the other? I have seen this sort of thing happen before with a worn out or leaking control valve.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
You might try to have the front end re-aliaghned to help with the recovery,and make sure there is no air in the system.FastE

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
How does the idler arm look?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Make sure the steering shaft isn't rubbing on something. My steering would "catch" every once in a while, found out it was rubbing on part of the clutch linkage. I had to loosen and adjust everything...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I agree with the idler arm. I had the same problem- steering was "darty". Idler arm was very stiff.
Anthony

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I mention the idler arm because its function is to return your steering to center. If it is worn out our installed improperly, it won't do what it is designed to do.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Also make sure the frame bracket for the ram is tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts