Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the pump, high pressure/low pressure lines, control valve, and piston. Power steering is noisy
and I have a continual leak at what looks to be the return hose to pump. Not just a leak, but from the pattern it makes it looks
like a fluid spray under pressure. We've clamped down the return line hose really well. Could it be that pump is building up too much
pressure and that connection is the weakest point (not a metal connection) and so that is where the pressure fluid is being forced out?
Are these pumps suppose to regulate pressure in some way? Hence a bad pump? Really stumped on this ... your input very much
appreciated.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Lots of possibilities:
Is the replacement pump and other parts you replaced original to your car or are they from some other car?
Have they been rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing?
What sort of noise(s) is the pump making?
Did you bleed the air out of the system after replacing the parts?
Is the return hose nipple on the pump leaking due to a crack in the fitting or a hole?
Is the rubber return hose leaking?
Is the pressure hose flare fitting sealing correctly?
Have you talked with Dan (Chockostang) to see what he suggests?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of possibilities:
Is the replacement pump and other parts you replaced original to your car or are they from some other car?
Have they been rebuilt by someone who knows what they are doing?
What sort of noise(s) is the pump making?
Did you bleed the air out of the system after replacing the parts?
Is the return hose nipple on the pump leaking due to a crack in the fitting or a hole?
Is the rubber return hose leaking?
Is the pressure hose flare fitting sealing correctly?
Have you talked with Dan (Chockostang) to see what he suggests?
  • All Parts purchased from NPD so new (or rebuild). Nothing used or pulled from another car.
  • Pump noise: a whine noise - we got the air out of system. No bubbles in fluid.
  • I'll double check the pump return nipple.
  • Return hose appears okay - it's new from NPD
  • Pressure hose fitting into pump good and tight - no leak there.
  • What is contact information for Dan?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So based on your comment am I to assume a retail power steering fluid is not correct for a power steering system, And I should use tranny fluid only?

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
The best, most expensive "Power Steering Fluid" will ruin a Ford pump. Then all the system fails. Most builder will state--Warranty voided if Type F Automatic trans fluid is not used.

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
Just a note... when you say you "replaced the pump", did your replacement pump come complete with the reservoir already installed or did you have to remove yours and swap it over to the new pump. If the latter, perhaps you omitted the seal/gasket between the pump body and the return elbow?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts