Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What causes the squealing sound that is heard when you turn the wheel of a power steering car to it's stop? It doesn't sound like it's coming from the pump pulley slipping. Is there a way to fix whatever it is? I have rebuilt the pump and it seems to have enough fluid.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The noise you are hearing is the hydraulic oil (power steering fluid) dumping over a relief valve inside the pump. when you turn the wheel one way or another, the fluid is forced into one end of the assist cylinder and is pushed back to the tank on the other side of the assist cylinder. When the cylinder is maxed out one way or another the fluid has no where to go, and the control valve is still shifted so in order to keep the pump from locking up and slipping the belt the fluid dumps over a relief valve inside the pump. The pressure is set about 200psi higher than any pressure than the cylinder will see, it's the highest pressure in the system so to speak. Hope this makes sense, but it's a rather simple system. Bendix was the company who designed the poser steering for the mustang from 1964.5 to 1970. I think is 1971 they went with a power steering gear. In 74 to present they utilize a power rack-and-pinion setup. Same holds true for the pump though, there is a relief valve in all power steering systems

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So basically what you are telling me is that all of the early cars with this system squeal at the stops and there is nothing that can be done about it because that is the way the system is supposed to function.
Well, here is a follow up question: Why doesn't it squeal every time the steering turns to it's stop?
Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts