Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard this is common but it's now happened to me. The other day I left work and heard this "clunk" under the front end and lost power steering. Thought I blew the pump but when I looked underneath I saw the whole piston assembly dangling. The "L" bracket it attaches to had snapped off the frame and it was welded on by the PO. Long story short, I had a new one reinforced and welded back in place yesterday. So far so good.

Is this common ?

Next time it happens, I may convert to manual steering. Does anyone have a complete set of instructions for making this change ?

Regards,

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I don't know how common, but it's happened once to my daughter's '69 coupe. I replaced it with a very beefy TrickFlow one and haven't had any problems since, even after bottomming it out at some pretty decent speeds.

Swapping to manual is easy ... new center link, new outer tie rod and your set (there may be one or 2 more parts, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head). It would still have the "quick ratio" PS gear box, but that's what I have in my '66 and prefer it to the MS box. Parking is a workout, but it handles great.

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Scared the $ # ! t out of me. I ended up having the nuts rewelded to the frame, since the L-bracket is cast iron, and thus a crappy material to weld. Oh, BTW, in my case, the nuts had gotten ripped thru the frame. So the L-bracket was hanging there with the bolts still attched (and nuts screwed onto the bolts).

The crazy part, I was driving straight ahead, in a residential zone, at about 30 MPH.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Been there. Bought the post card! Mine happened with the drop bracket for headers. If you think of how much pressure is on that bracket, you'd be surprised it doesn't happen more. You have to periodically check to be sure it's tight. I cut 1" off the drop bracket and redrilled the hole. the shorter bracket still clears the headers, but there isn't as much pressure on it when it pushes and pulls.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts