Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my power steering pump and purchased a billet pulley set. I cannot figure out how to get the pulley on the shaft. I started using a rubber mallet and realized this would mess the pump up. Is there a special tool? I also tried to use the threaded center in the shaft to force the pulley on, this didn't work either. Any help is appreciated thanks

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
The threaded center is the way. There is a special tool that has a bearing at the contact point for the pulley center, but I've used a bolt and nut too. Be sure the shaft is clean and without burrs. Same for the pulley. There might be a dig in the shaft from your earlier attempt. You can polish that out with some 600 grit and 0000 steel wool, but only work on the damaged area and not the whole shaft. the tolerances need to remain tight for it to work, and removing material where there is no damage can compromise the function.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Auto zone loans out a pulled/installer tool with a $50 deposit.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
+1. I went through this last week on my Mach 1. Keep in mind that after 40+ years of usage, the pulleys can be really aggravating to remove, to the point that it's definitely possible to score or damage the shaft OR pulley during removal.

I've seen pullies so frozen that they had to be pulled hard enough to distort the pulley face (the area where you pull from using a remover tool). I have actually seen the round area folded up like a taco from pulling the pulley so hard to remove it.

That being said, the same goes for installing an original OR a new pulley. As someone else said, it's got to be tight in order to work and stay in place. It's a thousand times easier to install a pulley with the correct tool; I've always given up on the bolt/nut method long before the pulley is completely seated on the shaft. One thing: make SURE the pulley isn't trying to seat sideways; it needs to remain perfectly straight on the pump shaft.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Buy or rent the correct puller/installer tool. Years ago i tried to put the pulley on with the stud and nut often supplied with P/S pumps and the stud broke off in the pump shaft.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rent the tool at autozone. Make sure not to overtighten the pulley. Because the remover tool will bend the aluminum pulley!

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
You do realize that is just the installer and not the puller? The FREE Auto Zone tool does both.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I already have plenty of pullers. I had a new pump and new pulley. I needed the installer.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Yeah, I already have plenty of pullers. I had a new pump and new pulley. I needed the installer.
But do you have power steering pulley pulleys? The one that grabs the center of the pulley and not the edges?
Just asking......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts