Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some questions about power steering pumps on 64 1/2 V8s. Are the Eaton pump and the Ford pump interchangeable? Did Ford use both Eaton and Ford pumps in 64 1/2 Mustangs? Are the engine mounting brackets the same for both the Eaton and the Ford pump on the 289 application? What color should the Ford pump and Eaton pump be painted? Finally, are the pressure hoses for the Eaton pump the same as the Ford pump through 1966?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
They are not interchangable. They only used the Eaton for 64 1/2. The brackets are not the same. Eaton pump is black and the Ford is blue. Hoses are totally different. It's an all together different system.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are not interchangable. They only used the Eaton for 64 1/2. The brackets are not the same. Eaton pump is black and the Ford is blue. Hoses are totally different. It's an all together different system.
Isn't the lower system the same regardless of the pump?

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Ah, the hoses are different, since the Ford/Eaton is mounted higher than the Ford/Thompson.

The Eaton and Thompson brackets are both available new, as are the hoses.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
HeHe

Ah, the hoses are different, since the Ford/Eaton is mounted higher than the Ford/Thompson.

The Eaton and Thompson brackets are both available new, as are the hoses.
I stand corrected. I GUESS I can't lie and say "FROM" the hoses down, doesn't include hoses. LOL

·
Registered
357 Posts

Eaton was used on some early 65's also.

GB

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Eaton was used on some early 65's also.

GB
+1, actually only the late 65's used the Ford pump, then 66 on.

The Eaton pump used several different style mounting
brackets during the time it was used so when your car
was built would determine which style was used.
Only one style bracket is available repro.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts