Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my power steering pump a few days ago. Pump that was replaced I installed a few years ago and it was a real bear getting the pulley on it. I have the appropriate power steering pump pulley remover and installer tools that I bought at national parts Depot. I think why the pulley was so hard to install the first time is because I had pulley powder coated and that made the inner diameter of the pulley smaller where it fits on the power string pump shaft.

Fast forward to just a few days ago I went ahead and replaced the pump again and remove the pulley and once I got it off I used a Dremel tool with one of the sanding drums and just cleaned it out a little bit not a whole lot but just a little to make it easier for the install. Anyways it went on fairly easy with the install tool this time..

So today I started the motor up for the first time since the new pump installed drove it for about a half hour got back to my house and the pulley is backing out now on the pump shaft ...

I really don’t want to get another pulley. It’s still a pretty tight fit. But what I was thinking is what if I used red Loctite or even JB Weld and using the pulley install tool push the pulley back into position??

I understand that if I ever need to replace the pump again I’ll need to buy a new pulley but I don’t care ..

what are your thoughts;;; do you think that’ll work??

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
So today I started the motor up for the first time since the new pump installed drove it for about a half hour got back to my house and the pulley is backing out now on the pump shaft ...
I vote for new pulley!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Just stick a bolt and a washer in the end of the pump. It won’t keep the pulley from moving aft but I don’t think that’s the tendency, more likely to move off the shaft as you’ve experienced. Use loctite on the bolt. You can also use loctite on the pulley.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
why chance wrecking havoc if that breaks loose at 3500 RPMs

buy a used pulley. what can they be $30

west coast classic cougar should have plenty in stock

·
Registered
33,629 Posts
If you mean you used the Dremel on the PULLEY then I vote for new pulley. If you used the Dremel on the pump shaft then it's new PUMP time.

·
Registered
33,891 Posts
why chance wrecking havoc if that breaks loose at 3500 RPMs

buy a used pulley. what can they be $30

west coast classic cougar should have plenty in stock
WCCC does have them (used), at just shy of $100.

NPD has repros for $67.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I bought a 5Z-A1A pulley off eBay a year ago for $45 with free shipping. Larger pulley cures the over boosted condition of the factory PS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts