Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to replace all the seals and gaskets on my power steering pump. I have it off the car and this is as far as I can get. Can someone give me step-by-step instructions or tell me where I can find them?

The pump has the Ford emblem stamped on the back. Would this indicate it is the original pump or an NOS replacement?

Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
Is it off the car or not? You need to do this on the bench. The Ford/Thompson pump is a pretty common item, yours could be original or a replacement. If it still has the tag on the back, that's a good sign. Most mechanics threw them away.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yes, Randy is a expert, has vast knowledge, it respected throughly by us Mustang/Ford Community. I communicate with him as well.

If you need to rebuild the pump by yourself, read all the details, buy new parts, inspect the PLATES very well.

If the plates are worn irreglar, the chances succesfull rebuild is minimal.

Rebuilding these is a bit more than seals.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I bought the Gates kit to rebuild mine. It includes the main shaft bushing where several of the kits don't. My old bushing was really jacked up but shaft looks surprisingly good. The bushing has notches on either end, one clocked about 90* from the other. I installed the new bushing without paying attention to the clock position of the notches. I don't see where it will make a difference on assembly. Does it matter where those notches are clocked in the front casting?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I bought the Gates kit to rebuild mine. It includes the main shaft bushing where several of the kits don't. My old bushing was really jacked up but shaft looks surprisingly good. The bushing has notches on either end, one clocked about 90* from the other. I installed the new bushing without paying attention to the clock position of the notches. I don't see where it will make a difference on assembly. Does it matter where those notches are clocked in the front casting?
Make no difference, Press in, assemble.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where can find the procedure for rebuilding (replacing the leaky seals) on my 65 Ford/Thompson power steering pump?
Thanks.
Paul L

1 - 7 of 7 Posts