Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have original 66 PS canisters in both the black and 'odd' bluish colors. My question, did Ford use a particular color version at different plants or was it luck of the draw? What do you all say? I have a July 66 Metuchen car with AC. I can paint it either way, so I just want to be correct. Thanks Jim Lane

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
my memory is fading but the ford pump was painted black and the thompson unit was blue....or i could have it reversed. there was a discussion about these a while back. might try the search feature.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok been searching and saw the discussions in 2007 regarding the two different pumps and what color they are. Let me try to rephrase my question. Did particular plants use a particular pump exclusively or were both being used at any given time? I have both pumps in the attic from 2 different cars, one was Dearborn, the other Metuchen. Just want to know if one is more correct for Metuchen plant in late 66. Blue or black?

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
JimL said:
........... Let me try to rephrase my question. Did particular plants use a particular pump exclusively or were both being used at any given time? I have both pumps in the attic from 2 different cars, one was Dearborn, the other Metuchen. Just want to know if one is more correct for Metuchen plant in late 66. Blue or black?

It’s typical for each plant to receive the majority of their parts from a single supplier (often arranged by geographical location of volume from observation)

Unfortunately have not seen enough nice unrestored 66 NJ to have a big enough sampling to offer an educated guess

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fair enough, thanks Jeff. I'll be checking back if anyone wants to add anything. Jim

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Murf--I see you jumped in, maybe not desired, but did anyway.

This issue has come to light numerous times, too may to count.

I have, on the Forums stated in 40 years of doing this I have never seen a Factory UGLY Blue 65 66 Big Neck Pump----TILL about 2 Months ago.

A Old boy in Alabama sent me a Absolute, without doubt Ugly Blue Big Neck to rebuild. He had this, I Guess, since new.

Did FORD Have Ugly Blue pumps made for the East Coast, Black Pumps made for the West Coast? Doubtful, TRW, or Thompson

In response to the original question. I guess it is appropriate to judge a 65 66 "A Blue Pump", "Teal" as Original, But Dam Few were, Dam Few>

Vast Majority were Black..

Now the Issue of "Teal".

The Teal Paints in rattle cans are NOT EVEN CLOSE to the original Ugly Blue.

Accepted, I Guess, either because the Judges recoginize the NON abitily to acquire, or out of the inability to know the difference.

Been to may shows all over, Folks think the "Teal" is correct, It's a shame, it is not even close.

That's my 2 cents---Tear it up fellows.

Dan

www.chockostangclassicmustang.com

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
CHOCKOSTANG} The Teal Paints in rattle cans are NOT EVEN CLOSE to the original Ugly Blue. Accepted said:
Don't assume because its on cars in the show field that it is accepted. Honestly given that most venues accept black or blue I am really surprised more don't choose black as it is easier to get correct. If its the wrong shade its just wrong, nobody gets a free pass

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
tlea,

Believe me, in trying to assist, I've had my behind chewed on more than once trying to "help" with this Pump color.

It is interseting, Been Cover Many Time as jeff eluded to a while back.

Yes, Paint the thing Semi Gloss black, You are covered.---Take the Dings out FIRST.

Good Conversation!

Dan

www.chockostangclassicmustang.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts