Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day guys. I've got a bit of a question about the power steering on my 67 stang. Soon I will be starting to hook it back up but I purchased the car as a dismantled project with the engine out and I am not sure what works and what doesn't. The control valve and all the tie rods etc are still connected in the car but the pump is out, The question i have is that, well first I must explain that i would love to install one of them TCP rack and pinion kits, but back to the question, it would appear to be a substantial cost to recondition/replace all the components or should i just buy one of those adaptors to convert to manual steering and then save my money for the TCP kit or should I lash out and replace all the original components. I am not concerned about originality. What is the price difference between TCP kit and replacing all original stuff including steering box. Thanks guys

Tim Russell
Sale, Victoria, Australia

67 Convertible

·
Registered
652 Posts
Well, I rebuilt my control valve for about $50 and some time. I rebuilt my steering box for practically
nothing since it's internals were all in good shape. I bought a new power ram for $130, and all new
hoses ran about $80. Total cost will be about $250 plus several hours of my time.

If you were to replace all the components with rebuilts, you'd be looking at $300 for the steering
box, $100 for the ram, not sure about the control valve - between $100 and $200 I think. hoses
at about $80. This is assuming the pump is ok. Final bill would be in the neighborhood of $600
to $750.

The problem with switching to manual steering is that the steering box is a 16:1 for power
and something like 19:1 for manual. So converting the power system to manual will definitely
require some he-man output from the driver, especially in parking lots.

I'd say, if you're seriously thinking about the PST r&p setup, bite the bullet and get it now.
Why screw around with the steering system twice? (Notice how easily I spend your money? :))

Rich
'67 C-code 'vert (Dees67)
'69 GT FB (project car)
Check out my band http://www.brickyardblues.com

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The TCP rack and pinion setup is at least $1600 as you probably know. That takes most of us quite a while to save up. (Try explaining that to your wife) I believe in rebuilding, carefully, the stock setup and accepting the fact that PS from the sixties always has that "floaty" feeling and will never feel like cars today.

"When you hear pounding hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." - Dr. Harold Slavkin, Dean USCSD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts