Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Scott Drake power steering drop bracket on my '68 fastback- there was no way that the ram would clear with the stock bracket and Hooker headers.

I opted to bolt the bracket in AND weld it to the frame rail. The bracket seems incredibly strong, but I can still notice the bracket itself deflecting slightly when at full lock. There doesn't appear to be any movement where I welded the bracket to the frame rail.

Is a little deflection acceptable? The frame rails are incredibly solid on this car, I would hate to destroy anything!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I bought the longest bracket that I could find and installed it like you did. I then re-drilled the hole to shorten it to the absolute minimum required to clear the exhaust and cut the remainder off. By doing this, I minimized the leverage on the bracket and eliminated any flex. I don't believe a very small amount of flex will cause you any problems, but I'd do a periodic check of the mount until I was satisfied that it was not going to damage the frame.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the longest bracket that I could find and installed it like you did. I then re-drilled the hole to shorten it to the absolute minimum required to clear the exhaust and cut the remainder off. By doing this, I minimized the leverage on the bracket and eliminated any flex. I don't believe a very small amount of flex will cause you any problems, but I'd do a periodic check of the mount until I was satisfied that it was not going to damage the frame.
The Hooker Super Comp headers and FE don't leave me with many options unfortunately.

I actually have a beefier drop bracket, but it didn't lower the ram enough to clear the headers- the boot would have melted very quickly. The ram boot is still a little too close for my liking, but it does clear the headers now. Sounds like I should just keep an eye on it?

·
Registered
10,085 Posts
You can weld in another support on the bracket itself. On my '66 I have one inline
with the hole for the ram that ties into the base plate of the bracket.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

1 - 4 of 4 Posts