Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations? I'm adding factory power steering to my '68 fastback with a 428 FE and Hooker Super Comp long tube headers.

I keep reading horror stories of the brackets ripping the frame rail apart. Is there a specific bracket or method of installation that will prevent this? I'm tempted to simply weld the bracket to the frame.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I bought the longest one I could find and bolted it in place. I then determined how much clearance I needed, re-drilled the bracket so that it was no longer than absolutely necessary and cut the excess off. By doing this I've minimized the leverage that it exerts on the frame rail. Once I was satisfied that it was going to work, I ran short weld beads around the perimeter. It has been several years and I've had no problems with it.

Reactions: Woodchuck

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Mine tore up the frame (and broke) in '88. Did as others suggested and had the replacement welded. Held up since then. Of course back then it was a daily driver and now it's a rarely driven.

·
Registered
10,268 Posts
I bought the longest one I could find and bolted it in place. I then determined how much clearance I needed, re-drilled the bracket so that it was no longer than absolutely necessary and cut the excess off. By doing this I've minimized the leverage that it exerts on the frame rail. Once I was satisfied that it was going to work, I ran short weld beads around the perimeter. It has been several years and I've had no problems with it.
^ What he said.

The salient part is shortening the "leverage" arm..... just like he did.
You'd be surprised how much that helps.
I never welded mine. It's been good since around 1989....

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
978 Posts
The first time I installed the bracket it pulled the bolts out of the frame but didn’t damage the frame.
A new bracket was welded in.

Second time it happened the bracket broke at the weld. Again, no damage to the frame.
Shop welded it back in with some extra reinforcement.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just found this problem on mine. It was flexing about a 1/2 inch when turning back and forth. I may try welding an additional bracket that attaches to the outside through the horizontal bolt and then overlapping on the two bottom bolts sandwiching the two bottom plates (one from each bracket) together against the frame.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had to weld mine in as well when it pulled loose.
Since then I installed EPAS, now there is this thing hanging down from the frame rail on the drivers side!:frown2:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like the Cougar bracket but my frame doesn't look like that. There is a lip on the outboard bottom side of the frame on my '69. My goal is to not weld to the frame. One of the main problems with the aftermarket brackets is the slot on the vertical side of the frame. This needs to be a close tolerance hole, otherwise the horizontal bolt does very little and most of the load is dumped into the two bottom bolts. No good. The slot needs to be welded up and the bracket has to extend to the outboard side similar to the Cougar bracket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts