Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to fix a return line problem. I have a 66 with a 302 in it the lower part of the return line continues to split. LIke in a day.

·
Registered
757 Posts
you are probably not installing it correctly. mine split the first time i drove it after installing it, you have to make sure you have the correct line and routed the correct way. if you turn the wheels with the car on its wheels (not jacked up) you can tell if its hitting or not, mine kinked and split and went everywhere and this was while i was doing its first inspection in 10 years, the guy passed me after i got freaked out :)

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Does anyone know how to fix a return line problem. I have a 66 with a 302 in it the lower part of the return line continues to split. LIke in a day.
The metal portion of the return, and pressure line have to be Clamp hard against the control valve to keep the tubing from flexing. The rubber has to do all the moving as the steering actuates.

Send me a e mail to [email protected] i'll send you a picture of a Factory control valve Total untouched original clamping, that shows how the factory did it.

Next, make sure you have the hose support bracket with rubber grommet mounted on the excentric bolt (Front side), hoses properly supported in it.

With these two factors present, your hoses will last years, not leak.

This is why the EXCELLENT Power steering in these cars get a bad rap. Improper install, and old wore out parts that folks can't understand why they leak with 40 year old seals that are hard as wood???

If I ever figure out how to post, i could put it on here.

Dan @ Chockostang

·
Registered
122 Posts
Tagging this thread

Chock can you please send me the pics thanks, will send you a email shortly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts