Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What all do I have to remove to have manual steering. I don't care how hard it is to steer anymore, it caught fire tonight because a line got on the Header for the 2nd time. No more. Can I leave everything mounted and just cut the lines? Any time and info on this is greatly appreciated.
William :p

·
Registered
78 Posts
i did the same thing on my 68 coupe and really like the results..i had to replace the pitman arm , center link, and idler arm with those from a manual steering car... i would highly recommend going that route as opposed to just cutting the lines .. they also make an adapter but i would not do it that way either...Joe

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joe, I guess I'll have to hook it back up till I get those parts. Hope I can get the wires retraced without too big a headache. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
758 Posts
You can just remove the pump, hoses, and ram, too, and have the equivalent until you get a new set of links. The "dead" control valve won't hurt anything. I'd cap the ports on it to keep dirt out of it, though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I bookmarked the archive for later use. I got it all back together, no leaks, but it will drip the old stuff for a day or 2. I think it might be easier to wrap the hoses in that braided steel stuff. Sorry, not real technical on proper names on some of this. Just get the kit for all the hoses, and make the engine look 50% better too. I do thank everybody for the time and info, it IS running OK for now. Will have to rewire the tach and volt guage on my triples, and that's it until I get the kit. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.