Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well let's see now...I've replaced the steering linkage, entire front suspension, brakes, installed a Flamming River steering box, and had the front end aligned. My 67 289 w/power steering still had alot of slop (play) in it. I know it's not going to handle like my BMW, but it is unsafe as it is. When moving the steering back and forth (before the wheels start to move) the pitman arm moves but I notice that the ball stud on the power steering control valve seems to be moving back and forth and nothing else. Could this be where the play is coming from? Do any of you have experience with the ball stud rebuild kits? Any advise is appreciated. I'm going broke chasing this problem.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
I share a bit of the same problem. I can't quite get all the slop out. Mine is better than it use to be since I adjusted the gearbox. I've just gotten accustomed to it. I figure that's as good as it gets. I think there is some inherent play in the control valve. Maybe somebody else will chime in.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
There is always going to be play due to the control valve...it's the connection between you and the wheels, right thru that spring loaded stud (one of ford's STUPIDEST ideas...I dont care how much less power-robbing it does!!)

Make sure though it's in good condition.......find an expert or two!!!

The power steering design is easily as dumb as ford's idea about the fuel tank.....like a trunk floor really weighs THAT much!!!!

I'll take the trunk floor ANYDAY!! Better than getting flambayed!!!!! Glad my sportsroof at least has bolted down "trap door" behind the rear seat!!! but I digress....

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The same type power steering control valve was used on all the 60's Corvettes
It was at the time state of the art. The problem today is wear of the components. Rebuild the ball stud and and be sure to replace BOTH idler arm bushings and it is quite acceptable. No its never going to be as tight as a Rack & Pinion Car But it is Not Unsafe

·
Registered
935 Posts
Are you checking the play with the engine running? Without the hydraulics powered up there will be some back and forth play in the ball stud. When the engine is running this play should all but disappear as the hydraulics keep trying to recenter the centerlink to the ball stud.

It's true that the ball stud is "spring loaded", but when properly adjusted, the give in the spring is very small and is only enough to keep the stud and seats in tension without binding. The whole ball stud/sliding bushing assembly is where the play is when the hydraulics are not running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts