Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any advice, diagrams, or suggestions on removing the parts that attach to the spool valve on a 68 mustang. I put some grease in the fitting that attaches to the pitman arm and power steering fluid came oozing out, so I purchased a rebuild kit for it. I can't for the life of me get the ball joint part off the pitman arm, what all has to come off the car to get this stupid thing out... (sorry getting a little frustrated). I tried to use one of those fork shapped pry bars but got no where.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
There are different size forks for different applications. Just keep at it and it will come off. I've ones just fall off with the removal of the nut and others I beat the crap out of. Remember, someone put it together, you can take it apart.

Try using a torch to heat the pitman arm (not to hot though!). The expantion of the steel may be enough to ease the removal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hammer strike the side of the arm at the point the pitman arm enters. This works well on balljoints and tierods too! I had the same problem and a friend that owns a shop gave me this pointer and it works great. Heat should be your last resort. Good Luck!

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Get a piece of 1" angle iron and cut a notch in it that is the exact width to fit just above the ball on the ball joint. Put the angle iron between the ball and the pickle fork. This allows the pickle fork to "wedge" better and apply more force. It worked for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts