Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to convert power steering on my 1965 Mustang 289 to manual steering. What parts do I need to do this? Are there any kits sold for this? If so, by who? Any written literature for during this conversion? Is it a difficult job?

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Mustangs Plus offers a kit for just this process! It seems to be pretty easy to me..

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Easy job (relatively), no kits ... no need for one. You'll need driver's side tie rods and center link, then an alingment. Some say you need the MS idler arm, but when I converted mine, I couldn't see any difference in the idler arms, other than cosmetic differences. I went ahead and used the MS one, but only because it was newer than my PS one (I took the MS parts off of my son's crashed '65 and put on my '66).

I intentionally left the 16:1 PS gear box in, because I like the "quick steering". Parking lots are a little work, but it doesn't bother me any. My '66 is my daily driver 365 days a year.

·
Registered
21,134 Posts
John, I just kept my driver's side outer tie rod. Works just fine, the only difference is the "dog leg" to clear the ram. It functions the same.

Also what's great about taking the PS stuff of now is that the box is fresh! The ram has been doing all the hard work for years, the box was...pardon my pun...only giving it "directions" ::

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Sounds like the job to convert is not real hard. This is a great web site and the help given is super!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts