Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1966 Mustang, 289, A/T.
It is not often that one can complain because things are too easy.
However, my power steering is very sensitive. It is overly easy to turn the wheel when sitting still. Also, when driving, the power steering is so sensitive that I cannot get a "feel" for the road. Is there an adjustment to the power steering system that would decrease the sensitivity and give a better feeling of control ?

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Y
You could try a smaller pulley

·
Registered
9,220 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I know nothing about this... but it might be worth looking into...I'm interested as well...

sandybob

·
Registered
390 Posts
As GT289 stated, the easiest, most cost efficient, most trouble free solution is to install a larger pulley. I installed a 5-3/4” from an eighties truck and purchased from one of our supporters Chocostang for a very reasonable price and it works great! More road feel, less marshmallow.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Mid 80's Ford truck P/S pulley 5Z-A1A will do the trick. You can usually find them on eBay since they are a known hot item. I paid $45 to my door 2 years ago. Aluminum aftermarket options are also available.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mid 80's Ford truck P/S pulley 5Z-A1A will do the trick. You can usually find them on eBay since they are a known hot item. I paid $45 to my door 2 years ago. Aluminum aftermarket options are also available.
Can you tell me more about the availability of this pulley?

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Can you tell me more about the availability of this pulley?
I just google 5Z-A1A. Looks like there aren’t any available on eBay at this time.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
For a little bling you can go with a March aluminum underdrive pulley set. It is smaller on the crank and larger on the power steering pump and supposed to give you more power. I put mine on 20 years ago on a new motor so I have no idea how much power is really from it.

I think there is a way to change a spring in the pump also, GT usually talks about that one, although that story may have the word Saginaw in it, I don't remember.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just google 5Z-A1A. Looks like there aren’t any available on eBay at this time.
Right. These are hard to find.
I think the original pulley diameter is 5 1/4 inches . The pulley you suggest is 5 3/4 inches. An increase of 1/2 inch in diameter will result in 1.57 inches in the circumfrence. Does this increase make much of a difference in steering?

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Right. These are hard to find.
I think the original pulley diameter is 5 1/4 inches . The pulley you suggest is 5 3/4 inches. An increase of 1/2 inch in diameter will result in 1.57 inches in the circumfrence. Does this increase make much of a difference in steering?
It was the difference between one finger power steering and something closer to modern power steering in my car. I autocross my car and am pretty happy with it "for now".

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I also went from a 4 3/4" pulley to the 5 3/4" - 6" pulley. The bigger pulley will show up on eBay often as the pickers know it's a hot item.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts