Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 65 l6 has manual steering. I'm putting a 302 in it, and don't know what to do about the steering. How bad would it be with the manual steering?

If I were to convert, is there a power steering box that fits in place of the manual one?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I drove both around the shop and around town on test drives. Honestly they are so light it didn't make me think "I must have PS in my Mustang". Manual wasn't so bad is my point lol.

·
Registered
33,903 Posts
My 65 l6 has manual steering. I'm putting a 302 in it, and don't know what to do about the steering. How bad would it be with the manual steering?

If I were to convert, is there a power steering box that fits in place of the manual one?
The cases used for the power (16:1) and manual (19:1) boxes are identical, only the ratios are different and, since Ford's power steering (Bendix) is external you can swap boxes at any time to get about 1/2 turn reduction in steering wheel input then add the power assist later, if you feel you really need it. I have a 16:1 box with manual steering and 215/65R15's up front, Shelby Quick Steer Pitman and idler arms which reduces the ratio even more, and have no issues but, then again, I have decent-sized forearms from many years of "Armstrong Steering" set-ups. I'd say the manual steering is no harder at a stop than steering your lawn tractor and when rolling is similar to a new car with "sport" power steering.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I think a lot of it also depends on the width of the tires that you want to go with up front. Is your car a manual or automatic? It depends on how far you want to go, but you could look at a rack and pinion conversion. Are you installing a serpentine kit on your 302 or keeping a stockish V belt? There is a complete Borgeson power steering conversion kit, but it is my understanding that it will not work with a Z-bar clutch linkage. Theres also an electric power steering kit on the market. The majority of these cars were probably sold with manual steering so it really comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be running 225/17's on the front. I bought a complete V belt type pulley kit, which included alternator and power steering pump, so I have the pump if I wish to convert. I guess I can just leave the pump off and try it with manual steering First. I was hoping there was a power box that fitted in place of the manual one, rather than the 'assist' type

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I have a 16:1 box with manual steering and 215/65R15's up front said:
my plan is the same, with a roller quick steer and 225/50s. Do you think the extra 10 mm will add apprecable effort?

·
Registered
20,066 Posts
Manual steering isn't that bad. The problem is most people don't know how to drive manual steering. Golden rules, keep tires properly inflated and always, always, always have the car moving even is barely when turning while parking. It makes it noticeably easier, I have 16:1 manual, 4* positive caster and 215/60/15 tires all around. I also added fresh grease and a roller bearing idler arm which works in your benifit

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
A manual steering Mustang is easy, a pleasure, and fun to drive when all conditions are right. A worn out, binding system is not pleasurable.
When we were young, strong, it was a breeze. As we age the difficulty increases. Had a few over time that has expressed that very aspect, and converted. Drove their classic for years with no PS, then as age, arthritis, handicaps creeps in, the need for assist is wanted.
If I was a young, healthy person I would not add ps to my classic, But I would keep it stock, not add some ****eyed part off a Toyota, or made up rack steering.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
I'm rollin on 225/50/16 @200 treadwear or 225/45/17 @540treadwear most of the time with a slow:1 box and a Shelby quick steer kit. It gets the job done, If i was to go power steering I'd probably do an EPAS

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 16:1 manual box with 205/60/15r tires in the front, and while it is certainly manageable and feels quite nice at speed, I am planning to convert to power using the Borgeson setup (https://opentrackerracing.com/product/borgeson-power-steering-conversion-1968-1970-289302351w-v8-mustang-with-manual-steering/). I'm a little concerned about an over-boosted feeling but there is a washer kit you can use to reduce the boost.

I'm doing this for a few reasons:
- Parking at car shows really sucks
- I like to drive twisty mountain roads and it is quite a workout
- I don't trust my ability to quickly countersteer and control the car if I get the rear end out
- My joints aren't great and aren't getting any better, and I refuse to go automatic, so if my legs are gonna hurt no matter what, I can at least give my arms a break

A lot of this, I'm sure, is because I have never driven a car without power steering before my Mustang. Another part of it is that I'll admit I'm kinda lazy and most of my driving in the Mustang is just cruising and I want it to be easier. I also want my wife to be able to drive the car from time to time and while I'm sure she could manage the manual steering, it will just be easier for her with power steering. I guess I kind of feel like it's a safety thing for when she drives it normally or when I drive it hard.

Cliffs notes: I don't NEED power steering, but I want it. And hey, I can always go back or try a different assist setup if I don't end up loving it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
A manual steering Mustang is easy, a pleasure, and fun to drive when all conditions are right. A worn out, binding system is not pleasurable.
When we were young, strong, it was a breeze. As we age the difficulty increases. Had a few over time that has expressed that very aspect, and converted. Drove their classic for years with no PS, then as age, arthritis, handicaps creeps in, the need for assist is wanted.
If I was a young, healthy person I would not add ps to my classic, But I would keep it stock, not add some ****eyed part off a Toyota, or made up rack steering.
This! My 78yo mother wanted power steering for sure. Could not see her getting stuck in a parking lot forgetting about keeping it rolling. And yes, my 78yo mother and my 77yo step-father drive a fully restored 66 convertible thanks to yours truly :)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
This 63 yo worn out guy removed the power steering in favor of a Chocko rebuilt manual box. It has 245/18 tires and 8° caster. He also removed the power booster. Next to go will be the AOD. These cars are light enough for normal folks to not need power anything. Except windows.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
It really is a personal preferenc.
On my 66vert I am running 225/60/15’s up front.
16:1 steering box
shelby idler/pitman
with power steering.
No issues parking and or craving corners.
thought about going with a r&p setup but would have to give up cross member that ties into lower a-arms and frame rail.

I would run the non ps setup first.
If it just does not work for you then explore other option.
But just the slightest rolling the car prior to turning the wheel will make parking much easier.

good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your feedback guys. I will definitely start with it manual. It's not like I haven't got enough to do to it already! I guess I was just hoping someone would say 'the power box off a **** just fits right in'. Never mind.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Thanks for all your feedback guys. I will definitely start with it manual. It's not like I haven't got enough to do to it already! I guess I was just hoping someone would say 'the power box off a **** just fits right in'. Never mind.
Power steering off a 1965/66 Mustang fits right in, works great if in good shape! THere is no need to graft something from a **** ...

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
leave it manual. its not like you're driving it every day. how many tight spots will you need to fit into. you pull into a show spot and pull out without even having to back up
PS unless done right will be a headache and an unnecessary expense imo

put the money elsewhere

·
Registered
637 Posts
I was just hoping someone would say 'the power box off a **** just fits right in'. Never mind.
The only bolt-on modern power boxes are aftermarket kits, like Borgeson, ABS-Powerbrake and Mike Maier. There are DIY posibilities, but they all require some level of mechanical engineering. "Modern" power steering are on my top 5 of mods I done to my car. To me it made the car way more enjoyable to drive.
Several of the leading commentaters in here, often sound like they were kids of Henry Ford. It took hard work to convince the old Henry that the costumers wanted cars with modern hydraulic brakes, becauce the mechanical brakes worked perfectly good and nobody needed hydraulic brakes. 😄

·
Premium Member
12,967 Posts
As Chock set al have pointed out, these cars are insanely ( my words ) fun to drive with manual steering. & need NO power steering if the steering components are in good condition.
Get the stock Ford steering box restored . Chock does that at a very reasonable cost) and check out every bit of linkage between the box and the tires.
My scrawny daughters learned to drive on ‘66 Shelby’s and ‘66 Mustangs, all with manual steering & the Shelby quick steer parts. I never heard them complain about the steering being too difficult. And neither one of them weighed over 90 lbs at the time.

throwing new steering technologies at a classic car in order to fix bad steering is just plain wrongheaded. Why even own a vintage car if you don’t want to appreciate how much fun the ‘60’s era technology can be to drive ? These cars sold in the millions because they were nimble, had powerful engine options, and were inexpensive. A person only has to restore a car to ‘as new” condition to fully enjoy the ‘60’s driving experience. There’s no benefit to throwing new steering boxes at the car

The new steering boxes are crap quality compared to a restored Ford steering box, and will cost you 2-3 times more than just having Chock restore your existing steering box.

Z

·
Registered
139 Posts
I really like the manual steering in my '65 FB. I don't race the car but dig it for it's lack of 'modern conveniences'.

There was a good thread about how to grease the steering box a few days ago as well.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts