Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I overhauled my '67 P/S valve a year ago, but the ball stud always seemed a little sloppy. When you thread on the end that holds the ball stud tight, a roll pin must be installed. I wanted to go a little tighter at the time, but I could not get the pin installed with another half turn on the threaded end.

Now I am putting in new tie rod ends, and decided to try again to tighten up the ball stud. I took the valve apart, and added a shim (washer)between the threaded end and the curved part that pushes against the ball stud. The roll pin went in, the ball stud felt nice and tight, and everything looked good. When I installed it and started the engine, P/S fluid pumps right out the end of the valve, past the ball stud!!!

Did I assemble something wrong, or has the new shim screwed it up? Anybody seen anything like this before?

·
Registered
935 Posts
When you tighten down the threaded insert (travel stop) until it bottoms out, you are compressing the spring that sits between the stop and the ball stud seat. You are the supposed to unscrew the stop just until the next hole lines up in the stop body and the end of the bushing for the retaining pin to go in. This allows enough play in the spring to keep things from binding up and allows the ball stud to have spring tension on it at all times without binding.
By putting a washer in the works you didn't change anything except now the stop will not thread into the end of the bushing as far. The effect and adjustment should still work the same.
If you have fluid coming out around the ball stud now, you have affected the seal on that end of the control valve where it mounts to the sleeve. Either the seal pushed out when you had it disassembled or the seal has just started to leak again. The modification you did shouldn't have affected it.
You will need to disassemble it again and check the seal - it might need replacement.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If it's what I think it is, the ball stud is supposed to be sloppy, with the engine off. When running, it snugs up due to the pressure created by the p/s pump. This fooled an alignment mechanic on my car a few years ago. He said I needed a new control valve since it was wobbly, and I told him to start the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts