Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vert has steered sloppily since we bought it. Not bad enough that I feel unsafe, but not good either. Vert has "power steering". I understand that this is actually a power assist for the steering.

Recently, we had the steering box replaced. Brand new Flaming River Box. Still somewhat sloppy. Steering feels too sensitive, like small movements in steering wheel result in large movement of car. Not good.

The more David and I drive the car, the more we are thinking about converting to manual steering. Something I didn't know could be done until after the new box was in. My question is, what is involved in this conversion and what are the arguments for and against?

I am not worried about the increased difficulty in steering, I am healthy grrl, so I think I can handle it.

One more steering related question, what is the difficulty in changing the steering column to one of the new IDIDIT tilt columns?

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Problem with changing car over to manual is if it is a driver you will get sick of it real fast. Fords power steering pumps on the early Mustangs sucked. Their power steering had to much assist. One way to change the assist is to install a KRC power steering pump. They are adjustable on how much power assist you give it. I have one on my 69 Mach1 and love it.If the steering is sloppy you might have something else loose that needs to be replaced. Such as a tie rod end or idler arm. If you convert to manual steering and something is loose it will still be sloppy. If you have your heart set on manaul it is not that hard. All you do is remove all the power steering stuff and get a convertor to replace the control valve. They sell for about $135 and most Mustang parts houses carry them.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
The problem you've described may not be the steering hardware at all. In fact, it sounds like an alignment problem.

Cars with too little caster will "dart" going down the road. Ruts in the pavement will pull it to and fro and the smallest steering inputs seem to create an outsized response. Tough to keep the car going straight.

I recomend you have a competent (with old Fords) alignment shop dial in more caster - 2 degrees if you can get it, and see if that cures the problem.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I agree with MrGem. My '69 convertible has power steering and all it needed to feel right was a good front-end alignment even though everything on mine is stock.

Try the alignment first and, if that doesn't help, have a good front-end shop check the car out.

BTW, if I were going to undertake the chore of converting my power steering to manual, I'd go the rest of the way and convert it to a rack-and-pinion setup. You might want to consider that before making a final decision.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
i went to manual and love it only time its difficult i s parking. easy conversion ,do a search ,and no more slop or leaks , go for it and just sell your parts on here.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
consider installing a power rack and pinion its expensive but it beats manual manual gets old fast.my car has the same problem let me know what you end up doing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What is the KRC pump you are referring to and where do you get one? About how much are they? I want to install PS on my 66. I have a rebuilt cylinder located and probably the related hardware, but no pump.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
i was a real lazy /cheap car owner. my car had power steering and i HATED it, it had no feel for the road in turns, and it had way too much assist as well as leaks.. i just cut all the lines, removed the power steering unit, got underneath the car and removed as much as i could.. now it has basic manual steering, little slop and feels so much more positive than before...only drawback...i dont ever try to parallell park..but thats fine.. less chance of dings right

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Problem with changing car over to manual is if it is a driver you will get sick of it real fast
I disagree. I bet most people would find driving their cars was far more fun without the crappy early Ford power steering. I have manual steering in my '66 coupe with a PS 16:1 gear box. No, you will not get into a parking space using one hand while sipping your coffe with the other. But when you're screaming down curvy mountain roads, you're having so much fun you don't think about the fact that it will require 2 hands to park it.

My '66 has been my daily driver 365 days/year for the last 5 years. I'll never get sick of driving it ::

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
You forgot to say how much fun it would be to be screaming down a mountain road and looking up in your rear view mirror and seeing me about 6" off your rear bumper driving one handed and sucking down a Mountain Dew with the other as I take the air off the back of your car and see you spinning and tring to get back control with both hands because you did not have your power steering.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This disscussion came in handy for me, I was debating whether to install a power steering system in my 65 or not. Im starting to think manuel isn;t so bad. :D

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
20 years ago I vowed never to have another Mustang with manual steering or drum brakes. I've owned over 20 of them since then and every one has had power steering and disk brakes. I agree about the loss of road feel but the days of me wrestling with a manual steering car are past. If my 73 vert had manual steering my wife would never drive it. I found that replacing worn steering components and installing a new slave cylinder and control valve helps a lot with the road feel issue and reduces the leakage problem that frustrates so many people.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Steph, keep the power steering. There are plenty of other things that can be done to improve the road feel. Start with a components check, then the alignment check, then a suspension upgrade (Shelby drop, sway bar, adjustable strut rods, etc). I love mine and wouldn't give it up. I remember those days when the PS wasn't working. Fun for a few situations, but not most of them! Especially considering the type of driving that I expect you will be doing. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts