Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey how are you all??? Well i live in Australia and i own a 66GT Mustang and im only 17 and it is LHD, i was wanting to know if i am able to take the power steering box off an old Ford Fairlane which is a RHD car, and be able to put it on my car??? because if i am going to do this i woudl have to put the power steering box upside down but i wasnt too sure if it would work but i think it might because it is a hydrolic oil presure pump....but yeah as i said im not 100% sure if it woudl work and if any could help me it would be much appreciated!!
Also i was wanting to know if this is an American forum and if im the only Australian here??

Thanx Heaps
MaT

·
Registered
412 Posts
Welcome to the forum...fill out your profile so we can learn a bit more about you.
This is open to people from all over the world, but I think you will recieve predominantly US and Canadian responses. There are some of your country folk on here, though.
Wish I could help with the steering box, but it seems to me it would be quite a challenge to get it to work on the opposite side.
Hang in there, you will get some good info on this site.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Hey Zatzty, welcome.

I know that there are fairly straightforward methods of converting your car, as there are a number of folks here from "down under" whose cars are now RHD. I can't tell you the particulars, but within 24 hours you are sure to get responses from some of them on just how to do the conversion.

I am curious about the conversions. Does Australian law require RHD to operate on the roads there? The reason I ask is because a number of English and Australian cars roam the streets here in the US and they are almost never converted to LHD. Folks love to keep them in their original configuration so the that novelty is preserved.

Again, welcome to VMF.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If you can get the stock power steering lower linkage from a LH drive 65/66 Mustang, you could probably make it work.
If the lower linakge was reversed left to right (mounting the idler arm on the LH side and achoring the power cylinder to the RH side frame rail) it would still work properly.
Use your original GT steering box. It is possible to reverse the steering box casing and mount it to the RH frame rail and still have the steering shaft come into the car on the RH side. If you can't find an engine with pump mounting brackets that mount to the RH side of the engine, you could use stock bracketry and long hoses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts