Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 66 has power steering (PO add on). Although I enjoy the ease of turning the wheels I'm wondering if going to manual steering would make it more responsive? Also, how had is it to revert back to manual steering?

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Reverting it back to manual steering isn't difficult. Disconnect and remove all the power steering stuff, i.e., pump, hoses, ram. You can keep the steering box. Replace the center drag link with a manual steering drag link. If I remember correctly, you can keep the tie rod ends even though they are power steering specific, but that's for clearance purposes only. That pretty much covers it. Don't know about response as my 65 hasn't had power steering in it since 1980. It was the first thing I got rid of.

If the PO installed an aftermarket power steering setup, then my instructions may not be correct. My experience is with an OEM Ford system.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,288 Posts
I wonder if the one installing the power steering left the non power steering box in it. If I remember correct the non power steering cars got a 5 turn box vs a 4 turn for power steering cars? @CHOCK can you verify this?

·
Registered
36,565 Posts
Yes, if the PO who converted the car utilized a standard 19:1 gearbox, it would seem unresponsive. Dealer-installed PS suffered from the same problem. Factory-installed PS used the faster 16:1 GT gearbox. If your problem is a 19:1 gearbox, stripping the PS would accomplish nothing, except make it harder to parallel park.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, if the PO who converted the car utilized a standard 19:1 gearbox, it would seem unresponsive. Dealer-installed PS suffered from the same problem. Factory-installed PS used the faster 16:1 GT gearbox. If your problem is a 19:1 gearbox, stripping the PS would accomplish nothing, except make it harder to parallel park.
How do I tell which steering box I have...16:1 or 19:1??

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
There is a metal tag on the box, if it came as manual steering it 99.9% its a the wide/slow box.
Actually responsive no, but more feel yes. You will feel that 1/2 turn of the wheel in better feedback and how more or less rotation bites or relaxes in your hands making YOU more responsive.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
How do I tell which steering box I have...16:1 or 19:1??
Turn the wheel all the way left and right and count the turns

Application Tag Code Type Ratio Turns

----------- -------- ---- ----- -----

65-66 Mustang HCC AW Power 16:1 3 3/4

HCC AX Manual 16:1 3 3/4 *

HCC AT Manual 19.9:1 4 5/8

65-66 Comet and Fairlane HCA BZ Power 16:1 3 3/4

HCA CA Manual 22:1 6

65-66 Falcon HCA BY Power 16:1 3 3/4

HCA CA Manual 22:1 6

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm removing the factory power steering from my 67 GT for simplicity's sake. I just had the box rebuilt, which is the original 16:1 box. I also want heavy steering while driving so I think this will accomplish that.

You can get a new manual steering link bar for fairly cheap through Street or Track. If you get the roller bearing idler arm, it should reduce some of the force it takes to turn too.

I figure if I don't like this setup, I'll add in EPS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts