Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the delima...as I posted a couple of weeks ago I found a pair of disc brake spindles off a '71 in the trunk of a parts car I bought. There was also a power booster there with a MC attached. Probably off the same car?
I also have another '69 parts car with a power drum brake pedal assy. on the booster on it. (been in the weather so long that I'm sure that it is good as a core only)
Now the Question. Is it worth the trouble to switch out the pedals & find a rebuilt booster to add the power brakes?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got my power booster and mc off of a 78 granada, and I have definately enjoyed having the power discs in the front and power to my drums in the back. The only thing you really might have to do is to drill the holes for the converter to mount. My pedal and everything for the non-power worked fine with minor enlarging of the hole in it. But I would definately go with the power brakes. In a bind they are worth having. ~Heath

·
Registered
846 Posts
With out a doubt! There is a huge difference between the two. Even power drum are tons better than non powered. If you've a chance to make it even better and upgrade to disk, then you're in great shape. Some suppliers have ugprades for aroung $500 or600. Disk conversions will run you about $1000-1200.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I converted mine from standard drum to power front disc and the difference is extraordinary. The mechanic who did the conversion for me felt that standard front disc/rear drum without power assist would also be substantially better but the cost to add power is insignificant compared to the brake swap overall and, IMHO, it's well worth it.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
It's totally a prefrence thing. I have manual 4xdrums in my '66, power disk/drums in both my kids' '69s. They are both nice in different ways. Both of their '69s also have PS, and my '66 is manual with a PS box. It's night and day driving the '66 vs. the '69s. I MUCH prefer the way the '66 drives. You drive it, it doesn't drive you. It's kinda nice to drive the '69s, but they're driveability just doesn't compare to my '66 (of course I've done more suspension mods than them as well).

As far as safety, I don't think there's much advantage one way or the other. I can stop my '66 with it's manual 4xdrums just as fast and safe as the 2 '69s with power disks and/or SWMBO's '02 4-Runner.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
il agree with Johnpro on this one. a drum brake system in good working order is pretty good in terms of stopping power. my gf has a 66 stang with power brakes, she also has a 4 runner with disc brakes as well, and i feel as though my car stops just as well if not better. ...but, what i really want.....4 wheel disc brakes... i took in a ride in my friends brand new SVT focus, and holy $hiT when he romps on those bad boys you better hold on, you just about go through the windshield. those svt focus' handle and brake in INCREDIBLE ways. it made me want to buy 4 wheel disc just bc of the wow factor

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have metallic pads on the pictured convertible and until I put power brakes on it my heart was in my mouth when stopping. It just seemed like I couldn't get enuf pressure to slow the ole mule down.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I have to disagree about 4-wheel drum brakes. I drove 67/68 V8 Mustangs with drum brakes all through high school and college and I consider them dangerous. I would never let my wife drive a Mustang with drum brakes. Sometimes they would pull left, sometimes they would pull right, and God forbid if they got wet. Also, they would not stop the car from 70 mph. They would slow the car down to about 20-30 mph and then they would just fade away. I tried finned drums and metallic shoes and new master cylinders and adjusting them and finally came to the conclusion that they just were not very good. I never drove a drum brake car with power brakes so I can't speak about that, but it's disk brakes or nothing for me.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I would say you still had issues with your drum brakes, or you had front end issues. You can have the exact same problems with disk brakes.

I can lock up my manual 4xdrums at 70mph as easy as anybody with disks. Since mine is my daily driver 365 days/year, I've had to brake hard on many occassions on the freeway, and they've always come through with flying colors.

I would agree that if you drive in a puddle up to the axles, you loose your brakes. In my car, that means my headers would be under water, so I solve the problem by not driving through puddles up to the axles. Normal wet roads do not pose a problem with drum brakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts