Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the use of a power washer this weekend and I want to do my engine and under carraige. I know that the carb and distributor need to covered completely. Any other areas I should pay particular attention to? Should I worry about the plugs or electrical lines (voltage regulator,etc.)? It's been a long time since I have washed out an engine bay and the last time was in my Honda, but they seal practically everything! :: ::

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
uhhhhh what kind of power washer?

The quarter car wash fine? (ok no problem)

The electric kind in your driveway? (still ok on low PSI)

The gas powered kind? (could be a bad idea unless you were specifically trying to damage/remove underhood, engine, and engine bay paint)

·
Registered
678 Posts
Treat it like a gun... Don't aim it anywhere that you don't intend to spray, especially if it has a hair trigger. Don't ask me how I know. :(

Make sure your oil cap, PCV valve, auto transmission and oil dipsticks are sealed. I removed my dipsticks and put sandwich bags with rubber bands over them. Saran wrap works well for protecting electical plugs and junctions. Use garbage ties to keep the wrap in place. Just make sure you don't concentrate a stream of water on them for very long. Remove or seal your alternator with a plastic bag.

Check your firewall where wires and hoses enter to make sure they have a good seal so you don't soak your floors or dash.

If your water pressure can be adjusted, start low and increase it only to remove stubborn deposits. Warming the engine up and spraying with a good degreaser will make the job easier and faster.

When your done, let it air dry or towel everything thoroughly before trying to start it. Check ALL of your electrical connections to make sure they are dry and firmly connected. When I did my Dad's 55 Chrylsler Nassau Windsor, I knocked an electrical connection loose just enough to pass a continuity check but not carry a load. Had a heck of a time figuring it out.

Oh, and make sure you do it in an area where you don't mind a lot of grease. Put some plastic down underneath to catch the heavy stuff. Makes cleanup easier.

Steve

http://chezdajez.mypicgallery.com/stevesmach1/my-72-mach-1.jpg
My 72 Mach 1 Q Code

·
Registered
557 Posts
What I shouldn't use my 4000 PSI washer on my engine? Worked great on car with no engine in it took the paint right off

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's an electric kind in my driveway. Don't know how adjustable it is yet. The guy who I am borrowing it from usually goes for the best stuff so i can only assume that it will be adjustable to some degree.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I use my power washer on my engine bay all the time. What I do, is just to soak everything good with degreaser, let it sit, then hit with the power washer. Since I'm doing it in my driveway, I don't usually bother covering anything, figuring if I get something wet and it doesn't start for a little while, oh, well. So far, though, it's never been a problem ... fires right up afterwards. I never get the power washer too close, though. Just close enough to knock the crud off. My power washer is not adjustable and I have used it to strip paint before :: Be careful not to hit any feet or hands with it ... IT HURTS! *LOL*

·
Registered
531 Posts
Guys on "Overhaulin'" did that in this weeks episode and couldn't get it to start! Guess water, engines, and electronics don't mix well. I would use a degreaser, rags and brushes under the hood w/ a low pressure (water hose) rinse afterwards. That's just me...

Unlike Johnpro, I have the kind of luck in which the first time I pressure wash it, my car will never run again!

Best of luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts