Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most powerful ford 302 ever made i have a 72 stang and i am going to have to put a remanufactured engine in there and i want somethign that is carburated not fuel injected prolly what a 1984 302 do they have high power to???

·
Registered
35,324 Posts
Notwithstanding the Boss302, as far as 302's go, the most powerful (carbureted) would most likely be the '85 302-4V HO, roller cam motor with 225hp (net). IIRC correctly, the '84 had a poorly designed head (combustion chamber).

It should also be noted, that if you want more "GO" with the least amount of "MO", consider swapping in a 351W. The hassles would be about the same as going to a late 302, and there is so much more potential, especially torque, which is what you feel in the seat of your pants.

'66 A-code Fastback (therapy)
'89 Town Car (SWMBO D'driver)
'87 Caprice (as req'd by Hagerty)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought the 85's were fuel injected though or are they? Also if i get a 351w wouldnt i have to change the tranny also i just bought a holley 600 carb and a edelbrock performer intake and i cant take those things back so i almost need a 302 what should i do???

·
Registered
673 Posts
Bell housing bolt patterns are the same for 351W/289/302, so you only have to change/build the tranny for a 351W swap if you're afraid of blowing up your tranny from all the extra power of the 351W :)

Sell the new parts at a small loss, and go with the 351W :)

Yes, I thought the 85 302's were FI, too, but you can still bolt on your intake/carb tho...

Thespazardman

·
Registered
699 Posts
If you mean any 302 from Ford, I would say one of the current 302s from Ford Racing Products. One of the models is rated at 340 horsepower. I have my eye on one of those for my Mustang in the future.

Kevin
1965 Wimbledon White Fastback
289, 4bbl, 5spd manual

1 - 5 of 5 Posts