Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought and installed a 150amp, one wire Powermaster alternator 12 weeks ago. Have taken the car on at least a half dozen shakedown runs to make sure all was good. On the way to the office yesterday I noticed my dash lights flickered a couple of times. I look under the hood to this

the stud for the power broke off inside the alternator and was bouncing around loose arcing off of everything. When I installed it I tightened it with a wrench until it was snug and didn’t put a whole bunch of torque on it. It’s a bit disappointing really.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Well, that's no bueno.

I guess you don't know your own strength. Must have ate your Wheaties that morning!

I'd send that back for a warranty replacement.

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 T5
138 Posts
I went for a powermaster unit as I had to go one wire for my AAW kit and was the only one I found made in the US. Been good for me so far so hoping you just got unlucky (or I got quite lucky..).

·
Registered
913 Posts
I would just call PowerMaster. I bet if you emailed a copy of your invoice they would just send you a new one.

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
If I bought an alternator and it did that it would never be on my car again.

·
Registered
1970 Sportroof Mustang Grabber Value Package
263 Posts
That square end next to the power cable would have to round off before you could have broke the bolt don't you think?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Lol call Powemaster and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most of the powermaster starters we have installed have failed, the local starter/alternator shop wont touch them because of lack of quality.
What do you recommend for a quality option? I would like to stick to 150a (minimum) one wire, as the 3G isn't that important to me. I am not sure if PA has a one wire option.

·
Registered
346 Posts
What do you recommend for a quality option? I would like to stick to 150a (minimum) one wire, as the 3G isn't that important to me. I am not sure if PA has a one wire option.
What could you possibly be running in a 60’s Ford that would require 150A minimum? Massive sound system thats over 2000W perhaps?

My Lexus GS350 has a stock 150A alternator to support the countless electronic systems in it. I also added a big subwoofer. Even with all the lights on, AC on full blast and the sub pounding away, the alternator is hardly breaking a sweat.

For my 65, I grabbed a 130A 3G from the wrecking yard for ~ $40 out the door. Swapped the pulley, reclocked the case and installed it. I‘ve since put about 1500 miles on it without a problem.

But, if you must have 150A minimum, here’s a place that builds alternators for massive output...

I can’t justify the price point, though if I’m never going to use it to it’s full potential.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
a 130a 3G is more efficient than a 150a single wire. $200 is not a lot of money so I am not as concerned with price point, plus I would rather have more power than I need then the reverse.

I am running a Stereo with 700w, 2 electric rad fans, EFI and digital engine management, high torque starter, Digital gauges, AC, and the rest of the usual goodies.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
The 95A small case 3G is almost double the amps of the original 1G alternator, it actually puts out a bit more than the rated 95A at 6000rpm. The 150amps is what the alternator is rated at, not what it normally puts out. Normal output is probably around 30 or 40 amps. or whatever your electrical accessories are consuming.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts