Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had much luck preaching to you guys about the benefits of a 4R70W...but let me muddy the water with one more way my thang is better than your thang. :peeping:

A 4R70W's lock up is controlled by the electronics, not the hydraulics. Once you hook it up to the Baumann TCS (Transmission control computer) you can choose the lockup conditions for the torque convertor and set it to lock or not when those conditions are met for each gear. You can also program the unlock characateristics. That's for any gear or no gear or whatever. You can make it lock up in 2nd gear if you want to (although why you'd want to is beyond me).

For instance, I've got mine set up to lock up in 3rd or 4th if I'm at light throttle once the car reaches a certain speed. You can feel it lock...or even tell by watch the tach drop 10%. It almost feels like another upshift. Then, I've got it programmed to unlock if I jump back into the throttle. That lets the engine immediately spool up 500 rpm or so to get it into it's powerband.

The lockup T/C improves fuel milage, reduces heat, increases top speed, and increases rear wheel horsepower. The 4R70W's lockup system is much more reliable and efficient than the AOD's and once you hook up the TCS you can make it do whatever you want. I could even program it to stay off completely when I throw the toggle switch between A program and B program (I call them "Norm" and "Hypo").

http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/Project%20Overdrive_files/ashtray.jpg http://www.blueriver.net/~finite/Project%20Overdrive_files/Dsc00802.jpg

Alright...I'm all done preaching. :rolleyes:

For a minute. :rofl:
Phil

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I was waiting for the other shoe to drop! :lol:

-Rory (Who sees too many computers at work to deal with them in my car ;))

·
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-Rory (Who sees too many computers at work to deal with them in my car )
All C4's and AOD's have computers in them. They call them valve bodies. A valve body is simply an analog hydraulic computer. A carburetor is an analog computer as well.

You must comply.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/JeriRyan-as-Seven.JPG

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
-Rory (Who sees too many computers at work to deal with them in my car )
All C4's and AOD's have computers in them. They call them valve bodies. A valve body is simply an analog hydraulic computer. A carburetor is an analog computer as well.

You must comply.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/35/JeriRyan-as-Seven.JPG
She should have been named 9 out of 10.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Phil, folks don't like what they don't understand. The 4R70W is basically a "Super" AODE. Gone is the whacky shift pattern, the weak shafts, the debate over lock-up VS non-lock up and No TV cable and the user can program it to do ANYTHING they need it to do. Ford worked out 99% of the bugs that plagued the AOD/AODE. What year and version are U running? What was your total cost? From what I understand, only the V6 version has a Windsor bolt pattern. I'm planning on using one with my 390.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Wow! Nice website! I was both inspired nad discouraged at the same time. Questions?? Where do I begin? I'm amazed you only spent $1500. Did you have the trans modified or is it stock? What does your engine put out? Lastly, where did you score the trans, a junkyard?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I will probably blow my aod with my new engine. Then I will be installing a MegaMax AOD It has the 4R70W gear set along with more clutches wider OD band and 1-2-(3&4)shift pattern but NO computer to deal with and its a bit cheaper

·
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The transmission was from a junkyard. A fellow VMFer had got the tranny, t/c, driveshaft, TCS, flexplate, and transmission wiring harness and then chickened out on finishing the project. I got a good deal on that.

I installed a baumanator recal pro kit along with all of the upgraded parts baumann sells (it didnt' amount to a lot). I also went with a B&M supercooler.

Phil

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The lockup T/C improves fuel milage, reduces heat, increases top speed
At the track, I'm doing 100mph in 3rd. I figure if I ever found the top of 4th, I'd be doing well over 150 mph and way out of control. I don't think there's much need to increase the top speed *LOL*.

Seriously, though, I'm with you. The reason I went with an AOD, is because it was given to me, and I was on a time schedule to get my car back on the road (my entire drive train and exhaust had just been transplanted to my son's '65). I'm into my AOD about $600, and that includes a new stall converter. Hard to pass up a deal like that.

If I was to do it over again, and had the time to do it, I would definately follow in your shoes and go the route of the 4R70W, as electronics, wiring and computers don't bother me (in fact they pay for my cars *LOL*).

The big attraction for the AOD, I think is in the ease of installation. Basically, if you can change out a C4, you can swap in an AOD. There's no question that the 4R70W is a much better transission.

There's also no question that you are very studdly in helping to pioneer it. ::

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
OK Preacher, I'm in need of a mission project. My 68's C4 is being replaced with an OD. I have studied your setup many times and it looks great. The problem is justifying the extra coin for the Bauman package. That will add $500 to my swap.

I'm still listening but if anybody wants a testbed for the upgrade, I've got it!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've heard good things about the Baumanator.
For those going with a full EEC control for EFI systems, the Tweecer is another way to go.
For about the same money as the Baumanator you get full control over the tranny and the fuel/timing controls.
I run one on my 97 and am constantly reminded what a vast improvement I now have over stock. You can control converter lockup, shift rpms (up and down), shift firmness....and this can be based on load, not just engine rpm.
It's my understanding that the Baumanator has a real good GUI that makes the tuning easy. Not so with the Tweecer....not real good documentation but the tool is there and there's a strong user group.
For info go to www.tweecer.com.
And, yes, I too love the 4R70W!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts