Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm finally getting around to re-sealing my oil pan today, and I'm going to add a nice shiny chrome pan while I'm at it.

What do you guys prefer for sealing it? The cork and rubber gasket set, or RTV, or some combination of the two?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I use a Felpro gasket set... Don't use anything but Felpro!!

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Put a cork on it...*G*

Make sure the surfaces are clean and oil-free...check the fit of the pan before installing the gaskets...yes, they do make pans wrong *G*

And use a little dab of RTV where the rubber end seals meet the gasket.

Don't overtighten the pan! Mild pull on 1/4" ratchet is sufficient...you can always tighten a bit more later.

Be sure to measure the depth of the new pan and compare to the old one....having the pickup located properly helps keep the engine alive *G*...usually not a problem but easy to check and worth it, IMO...

While pan is off, check tightness of oil pump and pickup, wiggle connecting rods and check timing chain for looseness (flashlight and screwdriver are helpful)....I'm assuming this is a higher mileage OEM or rebuilt....shining a flashlight up on the lower cylinder bores can indicate wear pattern or piston scuffing.

When I did a similar job on the D-coder after I bought it, I also checked the rod and main bearings and installed a Boss 302 windage tray I had laying around. Not necessary, but I like to tinker *G*

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
No gasket. Use Black RTV thin on the sides and thicker around the seals. Tighten while still wet. Never leak. Must clean first with lacquer thinner.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, they do make pans wrong

Doh! Well, it's a Ford Motorsport chrome pan, but I'll check it anyway.

While pan is off...

Good advice. I bought a pack of Plastigage, and was planning on checking the clearance of the mains (I think Kent clued me in to that). I'll check the stuff that you mentioned too, Hadn't thought of checking the timing chain at all.

I also bought a windage tray, so that I had some excuse to drop the pan. Oh yeah, it was leaking too, I guess that shoulda been a better motivator.

Thanks go out to all who replied for their collective advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts