Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my 66 coupe in to a body shop for an estimate on replacing rear frame rails (as mentioned in a couple of earlier posts). Depsite living within driving range of NPD and being able to save a lot of money on shipping, the body guy insisted that I order the rails, wheel wells, etc, from Mustangs Unlmited? He said that they are better quality than NPD's, and in fact said that NPD gets the parts that MU passes on. Is this accurate or is this guy unjustly biased?

I had found another shop who only chard $37/hr vs. $50 per hour, and in fact had a written estimate and a scheduled appointment for next week. When I took the coupe back in to get him to help me figure out exactly what parts I should order he backed out of the deal -- claimed it was more work than he thought it would be and that there was no way he could finish it in a week like he had originally said. SOOOO, I'm back to the first guy how was picky and wanted the car for a couple of months.

·
Registered
938 Posts
"a couple of months"????? I'd stay away from that guy. You are paying for the job at a regular rate.whatever he quotes..so it should be done on a regular schedule. Sounds likee he wants it as a "side job" something he'll work on after he's finished with his regular jobs
Try some otheer shops and check with some small welding shops also not just the "body shops"...

·
Registered
612 Posts
I doubt that is the case. Ive ordered parts from a lot of places, Pens. Mustang, NPD, MU and body shops, and for the most part, they look like they come from the same places. There are many companies who repo these parts, but few that repo the same parts, especially for the big body stuff. Basically what Ive seen is American Designers, which makes parts mostly in Canada and the States, and Importers which make stuff in Taiwan/China. Many times there is a domestic source like American that has a heavier gauge part (and supposedly better fit), and a lighter weight import. I always go for the heavier part if available. I may be full of bull - maybe Matt from Ponderosa can enlighten us....

G

·
0 Posts
Call NPD and ask them their sources. They've always recived high marks on VMF. The short 28" rails are made by American Designers, and the long "full" rails with torque boxes are made by Mr. Mustang, I happen to know that much. I'm sure NPD buys direct, most outfits do. "NPD buys the stuff MU passes on" is just silly, buying parts from a manufacturer isn't like buying steers at a livestock auction. Yeah, I'm sure their purchaser says "Hey Joe, send us the rejects and the crap that our competitors won't sell, we don't give a crap". Your body man is talking out his posterior, which shouldn't give you a very warm & fuzzy feeling in dealing with him. What a bozo. I'll bet you that either NPD told him to jump in a lake on some past issue, or someone at MU fed him a line that he swallowed hook, line & sinker.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is why I'm asking the group about this. So far I'm not impressed with any of the body shops I've taken the car to. To me, this is like going to the doctor, you expect the doctor, or body shop owner, to be an expert in his field. Going for a 3rd and possibly 4th opinion today!

·
Registered
404 Posts
you need to look around a lot! most shops aren't really interested in these old cars. They would much rather handle high profit insurance jobs.... We are just toooo picky. But look at it like this. You only need to find one good one. If you settle for a bad one, you will be redoing it sometime in the future.

G

·
0 Posts
Hey 66i6, how about fill in your bio. It just might help you find a decient shop in your area.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
Matt makes every effort he can to get a good quality part, he also almost always is equal to or lower in price than the other shops I've checked. I'm in the process of having my 65 convert redone right now (combination of accident and fix the rest of the car while its apart). Matt has been great, good parts, good prices, and very friendly and knowledgable service. Wherever you take your car, give Matt a call on the parts. Also check if there are any Mustang clubs in your area, find a person who has a good looking car and ask where they got it done. Get references from the shops you are considering. Make certain the references are for "classic" restoration/repair jobs.

John Harvey

·
Registered
262 Posts
i have to second that on matt at pondarosa,i just bought some parts from him ,they came in with no damage and were great parts and about 30% cheaper.he was more than willing to answer any questions,and shipped the items quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts