Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime in the near future, I'm going to start on what (to me) is a relatively major undertaking -- I'm going to take off all the stuff I've put on the front of the engine recently (alternator, brackets, water pump) and put a new timing chain in. The old one is fairly loose (as I found out when I installed a new oil pan) and I'm concerned that it may have even slipped a cog. My performance has never been much to write home about (I'd have a hard time breaking loose the wheels even on a good day) although having owned only one Mustang and one V8 my whole life, I can't really say what I should be expecting.

In any case, what's the preferred timing chain for a '66 289? I guess it goes without saying that I'd like one that minimizes future stretching, as I don't want to have to do this again anytime soon.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Go with a double roller, you may need a one piece fuel pump
eccentric to have enough room under your front cover. The
new timing sets are a liitle thicker, pushes the eccentric out a bit. You may have a one piece eccentric already, won't know untill you look.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Dynagear makes a good double-roller timing set. I got one at Advance Auto for $59.99.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I've used Cloyes Tru-roller and Edelbrock. I was impressed with the Edelbrock because of the quality, and the very good detailed instructions.

·
Vendor
1966 coupe and 1970 sportsroof
5,342 Posts
You may have my old problem... My chain was so loose it must of slipped a tooth. The cam was 10* off! No power!

Put in a double roller ASAP! If that thing breaks, bye, bye pistons, valves and pushrods!

The hardest part of the entire exercise is making sure you seal everything up correctly. Leaks are a PITA!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Cloyes double roller nylon coated

1 - 6 of 6 Posts