Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a fun day today. Drove to Park City Utah for the mustang show there (about 300 miles each way). While there, they had a couple small swap tents on one end and I spotted this R-model valance. So I picked it up for 30 bucks along with brand new back up lights for $15/pair! I love swap meets, though this was my first experience. Since the price was right for the valance it saved me having to modify my steel one. Plus the bumper fits over it too and the front spoiler hangs under it nicely! All I need to do is design and built the license plate mount inside of the opening. I'll work on the project this week after we get back from camping, but I couldn't resist a trial fit to see how things are looking.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL25/910966/4461912/63391226.jpg

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Dan,

The gf keep improving. I like what you have done. It looks great ::. I know this is off topic from your recent posts but how has the engine been running? Do you have the components in the drivetrain set up to your liking or is there more work to come?

Justin

·
Registered
334 Posts
Man you are a lucky dog finding both items so cheap, and i need both items myself, lol. Looks like a good fit though. By the way i've seen people just take the front plate and lay it flat in the opening and mount it that way. Technically the plate is there its just lying down on the job ::, thats what i've been planning to do to preserve the look (whether the cops will let me get away with it is another matter).

Anyway, kudos to you my friend on your great bargain finds (and on your first attempt no less), and keep up the good mods on the car, its looking very interesting.

James

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! This is the last mod on the car body. Funny how it started out with a shelby hood scoop to cover some dents and turned into a free-for-all. I knew the bounds were overstepped when the rear spoiler and side scoops went on. There is tons of finish work to do on the body, so that is moving up on the priority ladder as I'm trying to focus on paint prep and hold up on the interior until the car is painted, though I have piles of parts ready to go. The underrider traction bars and a roll bar for inside are becoming more immediate as there is welding involved and I don't want upholstry to interfere.

Dude: The engine runs good, but not great. It needs timed up a little better. The tranny is a 3 spd manual hooked to that drag geared rear end! I bet the car would top out at 70-75 mph!!! So I need better road gears, just have to cough up the $$$ again....

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know...with miniature technology, it would be very easy to build a hideaway license plate mount which slides from left to right inside that R-hole. You would simply use a motorized linear actuator to move the assembly back and forth. A three-way toggle switch in the cab would control the direction of travel. Only real challenge would be keeping the mechanisms water proof. Hmmm....

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
All I need to do is design and built the license plate mount inside of the opening.

::But, but, but.... The opening is there to expose more of the radiator for better cooling....

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
::

You sold out man... you sold out. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts