Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
Follow-up to my question below.
It sounds like I want to use an epoxy primer for the initial base coast of primer on my car....

What steps do I need to take to prepare the car for the 1st coat of primer? Any tips? Things to avoid? etc.

Thanks again.

Eric

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
If you're going to bare metal, you can use a phosphoric acid treatment like Rustmort to eliminate any microscopic rust. If you're going over existing sanded paint, you should wash with Dawn and water, and then wipe it down with wax and grease remover prior to applying the epoxy.

Note: Epoxy is not a good topcoat, and will not last when exposed to UV rays (sun). So don't let this project sit too long before getting some real protection on it.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
If you are already to bare metal and humidity is not a problem you can get by with cleaning with wax/grease remover, sanding with 80 grit, clean with wax grease remover again, and shoot with PPG DPLF Epoxy Primer. So long as the interval between cleaning, sanding, cleaning, and shooting is short (24-48hrs), and you're working inside, you should not have a problem with rust.

If you want to be absolutely "Safe", PPG has a line of metal wash/preps that will create a zinc oxide coating on the surface of bare metal onto which you spray the epoxy primer but you still have to clean and sand first.

If you are not going all the way down to bare metal, the basic steps of cleaning, sanding, cleaning, shooting would still apply.

BTW, when you get down to the final clean/shoot stage keep in mind that most wax/grease removers require that you shoot primer immediately following treatment, so be sure to plan for the extra time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts