Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of deluxe door panels for '71 - '73 that I am about to dye. I've been able to remove all the carpet and trim from the panels with the exception of the chrome strip along the top. This piece does not appear to come off (easily and without ruining the door panel). What have you folks used to mask this type of trim off before dying? Besides masking tape, is there a 'brush on' type product that can be peeled off afterward? :: I think there is such a product for home painting usage.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Yeah, whatever you do, avoid removing that chrome strip. It is very tough to put it back on. I had to put mine on my new door panels last year, and that was the hardest part of the job.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a follow up: have you replaced the felt weatherstripping along the top of the door panel? It looks like it is stapled to the metal trim strip. I have no idea how you would reattach that felt if you were able to remove it. Do you?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would remove the old weatherstrip felt from the doors and replace it with new. I bought new deluxe panels and had to do this anyway but it was not that hard. I aligned the strip on top of the panel, pressed down on one end while drilling the holes (drill bit came with weatherstrip) for the first staple. Then inserted the staple and bent the legs over and crimped. After that, just move to the next closest set of holes and do the same thing until your at the opposite end.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where did you get your felt weatherstripping from?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts