Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I understand, E-15 will replace E-10 in a couple of years leaving us with only E-15 and E-85 to choose from. There will be some rare exceptions that will offer Ethanol-free gas but, it will be even more expensive than it is now. In my area, 87 octane Ethanol-Free gas is about $1.20 more per gallon than 87 octane E-10. Ive been slowly preparing my car for the inevitable. Here are some things I have done to be able to run on Ethanol. Ive replaced all rubber fuel hoses with Gates Barricade carburetor hoses. Be careful buying this stuff because it comes in several varieties. What you want is the one stamped Carb- not for fuel injection. Next, I am using a brass carburetor float and fuel level sending unit float. Ethanol eats anything else. E-10 causes your engine to run lean. The main jet should be enlarged between 3-4%. With E-15, it will be even leaner and you'll probably need to richen the mixture even more. I went from a stock 69 main jet to a 72 and it made a night and day difference in the way my car runs. Bases that I do not have covered yet are the fuel pump and carburetor gaskets. To my knowledge no one makes a mechanical fuel pump diaphragm, accelerator pump, or power valve/spark valve that is Ethanol resistant yet . I am hoping that the use of a good Ethanol protection additive will keep those parts working. I use Ethanol Shield that can be bought everywhere, including Walmart for about $5.00 for 4 oz bottle. A bottle will treat 40 gallons of fuel.
Things will probably get interesting in the next few years. Probably a good idea to keep a fire extinguisher handy "just in case". As a disclosure, I am not an expert on Ethanol. I was an ASE Master Tech for several years and also Certified factory trained Mercedes-Benz technician and technical advisor for several years and have worked on cars off and on for over 40 years. Most of this Ethanol stuff has been learned by reading everything I can find about it. I would love to hear what you have done to prepare your car for Ethanol. This is affecting all of us and will only get worse in the future.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Don't forget the needle ans seat at the carb fuel inlet.

·
Registered
758 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Thankfully the snowmobile, boat and street rod groups in MN should keep our e free fuel as an option. Price doesn't bother me as I only put it in my toys.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Gates hose is not easy to find; however, I did find a hose rated for E85 made in the USA by Thermoid called Thermoid HBD. What do you think?

I get the Gates on Ebay. The hose you linked to looks good too and much cheaper. I use 5/16" hose myself.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
1st, the corn lobby wins. I live in a non attainment county that has a E-15 summer blend. The daily drivers from a 2002 F150 up to a 2016 Flex don't care and run fine. E-15 melts anything rubber on any older generator, lawn mower, garden tractor, or whatever that has a gas engine. Sadly, the replacement, gas cap or the rubber insert of the gas cap will melt just like the original because is is NOS and not an improved version.

On my Mustang I went FiTech TBI because of vapor lock/ fuel percolation and it works. Given the use of my car if someone was to offer a poly gas tank I'd probably go E-85 because those 600 hp rice/corn burners on the autocross course smell nice!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Fortunately I have a Sunoco 5-10 minutes away that sells ethanol free 89 octane. Its marketed for off road vehicles, at about a 40 cent premium per gallon. Is this a thing mandated by your state or the Feds?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ethanol is federally mandated. Until a recent change by Trump to boost corn production, the mandate stated that no more than 10% E could be added to gasoline year-round. E-15 was not allowed in the summer due to higher ozone depletion or something. Now, E15 can be blended and sold year round. Problem is, nothing built before 2006 can run on the stuff without major damage. There is a Bill in the House right now that would cap the percentage of ethanol to just below 10% but, so far, its just sitting there.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Ethanol is federally mandated. Until a recent change by Trump to boost corn production, the mandate stated that no more than 10% E could be added to gasoline year-round. E-15 was not allowed in the summer due to higher ozone depletion or something. Now, E15 can be blended and sold year round. Problem is, nothing built before 2006 can run on the stuff without major damage. There is a Bill in the House right now that would cap the percentage of ethanol to just below 10% but, so far, its just sitting there.
Yea, good luck with that. The corn lobby wins! Bought and paid for and I live among them.

·
Premium Member
9,682 Posts
87 octane Ethanol-Free gas is about $1.20 more per gallon than 87 octane E-10.
I believe you are in the DFW area. Down here in Lampasas we have an Alon gas station that sells 91 octane ethanol-free Premium for 50 cents more per gallon than the 87 octane 10% ethanol Regular. All of the other stations around have 93 octane premium which contains up to 10% ethanol.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Does Stabil gas additive provide protection against the effects of ethanol? This is from their website.

Allen

$8.99 – $16.99

(70)

• America’s #1 Ethanol Treatment
  • Use STA-BIL 360 Protection at every fill-up
  • Keeps fuel fresh for up to 12 months
  • STA-BIL 360 Protection cleans the fuel system to increase power and fuel efficiency
  • Prevents corrosion caused by moisture and today’s ethanol blended fuels

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
It should be of particular interest to the fuel injected engines. Stochastic for e10 is around 14(14.1). Not sure what it will move to with e15 but probably under 14. That could put your a/fr at WOT in the high 11's. Maybe the computers already have a check box for ethanol blended fuels. I don't know.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Setting fuel type depends on the computer. Most aftermarkets I’ve shopped have that. Recently I saw a flex fuel sensor for Holley but didn’t look further. You could fudge the numbers in displacement and fool the computer. Since it’s a Lambda to AFR conversion in software it should be a relatively minor upgrade for them.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Fitch, really apocalypse ? Thats alittle overly dramatic, don't you think ? Here in SW Michigan, we have had E10 for more than 30 yrs. I'm just not seeing the problem. The fellow I was working for before retirement has a 428 in a 69 Mustang, and he built it especially for E85. It has a Holley carb with regular gaskets, a Carter mechanical fuel pump just like anyone else can buy, new fuel hose from the parts store, and a new, normal steel fuel tank. And it sits in his garage for 6 months a year due to our weather here. He has had zero problems now in 5 or 6 years.

Nial is right on with this. Ethanol is in the fuel, and it will most likely stay that way. Doesn't matter if we like it or not. This is our realty. Keep your stuff dry and if you're really scared, build yourself a new fuel cap filled with Zeolite so that air entering your tank is dry.

And the next engine I build from scratch will have at least 12.5 to 1. The horsepower available with E85 is too tempting to ignore ! LSG

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I'm old enough to remember when everyone freaked out about unleaded gas, and how you couldn't run it without hardened valve seats. I run whatever they sell at the gas station, zero issues. I replaced a section of rubber fuel line a couple months ago, only because it had been on the car since I bought it 32 yrs ago.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
So far the only problem I've had with E10 is my sport bike (my Mustang isn't on the road). Lots of problems with the carb. , but It's mostly mitigated using Stabil. It's Not a fictitious problem just because some have not experienced it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts