Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever tried spray painting cadmium finishes with a clear coat? I was wondering how Eastwood Diamond clears would work preserving the unique look of fresh cad?

G

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't clearcoat original parts. Wax-based products would be the best solution.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've used LPS 3 for preserving metal finishes,even bare metal. Getting hard for me to find it. It comes in a thinner type LP 1 also. The #3 is a heavier almost wax type spray that I wipe after application to remove the heavier build up areas. Spray on a rag to apply also. Great for protecting bare cylinder walls for long times. I'm sure there are other products,just what I have found that works for me.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Same stuff I was using ... now out.

A local place says it can order it for me but purchased some other stuff they had.. what a waste :(

·
Registered
407 Posts
The stuff has been around since 1935. Yes, originally guns are packed in cosmoline. This stuff is for someone wanting to preserve the firearm after that. I've used it for years both on firearms and cars. It doesn't have an greasy feel to it, actually has a wax like feel and goes on thin.
Scott

G

·
0 Posts
I use cosmoline spray to clean my tools before putting them back in the box. Does not leave any greasy or oily residue... just like Scott says.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Scott, Any places off the top of your head (national chains) where one can purchase this? I hate paying more for shipping than the item costs. Maybe NPD could pick it up for the auto enthusiasts? Then I could combine it with another order....

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've actually never bought it from Midway. I rarely buy anything from them due to their high shipping costs. I buy my Rig locally at gun shows from a local distributor. The manufacturer is Rig Products, Sparks, Nevada.
I might consider contacting them in regards to becoming a distributor this winter.
Scott

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Wonder if they sell directly to the public? A few hour drive when the weather was nice might not be bad. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't confuse cad (cadmium), with zinc plating. Both are a silvery color, but differ greatly in corrosion resistance. Many platers have ceased offering cad because of EPA restrictions. Zinc is less toxic to process and generally has a secondary, chromate conversion coating.
I've only used cad platers, and have excellent appearance even after 20 years. As for anti corrosion fluids, I own a DOD/MIL approved manufacturing co. All bare steel parts are coated with Fluid Film. Best product I know of. Use it throughout my rust free '68.

·
Registered
532 Posts
YES! That is it! The same can and all! I've used that LPS3 for a lot of long term storage of bare metal. I guess I have to go on-line to buy it now! The LPS 1 is more of a penetrating oil that will not harm rubber parts. Some of the other penetrating oils seem to ruin rubber or discolor it. Last time I bought a large spray can of LPS3 was $8.00. It lasts so long for me ,I'm not even considering anything else. ( Just me..old,won't change )I use it on my '69 Mustang bare metal by spraying on a rag and wiping it on. Works great on those iron pieces like pitman arm,steering linkage,etc. I don't drive it in bad weather and it looks like it will last for years!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just an update to anyone interested. I contacted the current supplier of RIG, Jackson Safety Products. They informed me that unless someone buys the rights to the RIG product line it is discontinued. They have enough stock in their warehouse to satisfy demand for 1-2 years, after that it's gone unless someone else wants to make it.
Midway has it ( www.midway.com ) but you can also get it from Brownells (they are a major distributor) www.brownells.com and search for Rig rust preventative or stock numbers 756-010-001, 756-010-003, 756-010-015.
Scott

1 - 19 of 19 Posts