Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I mentioned in a previous thread, my project scope has increased and I'm now doing a full repaint. I'm definitely doing a dark blue, but having trouble picking one. I've seen hundreds of Nightmist pictures, and while I like the color I'd really prefer something just a hair darker and more of a true navy blue. One color that's caught my eye is Presidential Blue, but I'm having a hard time finding good pictures that show what the color looks like, especially in base/clear. Does anyone have any good pics of Presidential Blue, especially a recent repaint in base/clear?

Alternatively, I'd be interested in other dark blue pics you have, but I really am trying to stay relatively period-correct. No Kona Blue, etc.

This picture is supposedly Presidential Blue, and it's perfect. Does anyone know if this is an accurate representation of the color?

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking for dark blues, thanks - specifically Presidential Blue pics but also interested in other navy colors. That color is nice but way too light for my interests.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you - I had seen that and like the color, but was hoping someone had pics of a recent repaint that I hadn't yet seen. I do appreciate the help though. It seems to be a relatively rare color, which surprises me given the popularity of Nightmist. I'll bump this one more time to see if anyone didn't see this who does have any Presidential Blue pics I'd not yet seen. Thanks again.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Here you go, 1968 Presidential Blue photographed both indoors and outdoors.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
131 Posts

·
Registered
8,610 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Now I like that presidential blue. I think I like it better than midnight blue. Hmmmm

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
129 Posts
My car is a Presidential blue from factory. However, when I restored it I wanted it to be slightly different. So it is a base/clear presidential blue with a hint of pearl in it. It looks beautiful, IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
651 Posts
I also love the deep midnight blue metallic. Here are some good web search terms for example photos...

Admiral Blue
Deep Impact Blue
Kona Blue
Midnight Blue
Midnight Blue Metallic
Midnight Race Blue
Presidential Blue

I'm sure there are others I can't recall. Some of these paints may actually be the exact same formulas. No doubt some are GM colors. But that's not the point. These are just good web search terms to see lots of different cars with that dark, metallic blue look.

However, you also need to view paint examples in person. These navy blues all tend to look black from late afternoon through the night, which I personally love on a 68 fastback. But some of these modern paints are rather... exotic. Some dark blues can intentionally "flop" into green and/or purple highlights at certain angles. It's hard to catch that effect in photos. It's not everyone's favorite look on a classic car, so make sure you look at paint examples in person on sunny days before you commit to $1,200 just in paint.

·
Registered
129 Posts
^ This is true. Mine can look blue, black and sometimes even purple (that's the pearl). But that's what makes it a great color. It all depends on the angle of the sun, shade, etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts