Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m replacing my tstat housing and the bottom bolt on the housing will not tighten down because some threads are stripped in the manifold. This is the awkward one that’s hard to reach and you have to use a socket wrench.

I remember the last time I put the housing on it would not tighten down snug, but it was enough to make a seal. Now I can not make it seal.

I don’t see an easy way to tap it because the timing cover and water pump are in the way.

I don’t know what else to do……… ahhhhhhhhhhhh

I so don't need this right now. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
It doesn't pay to work the intake in place, take it off so you or a machine shop can work to fix the threads. A helicoil should work fine. While this adds some work steps, the approach is simple and only takes a short time longer. You'll get a good fix that lasts.

G

·
0 Posts
If you really don't want to remove the intake, you could try what I did to fix a stripped valve cover bolt hole on an Al intake. Make sure you can get the area really dry-drain the water. Get a stud the same thread/diameter as the bolt and proper length. Use something like JB Weld and put it on the thread on the stud which goes into the intake, screw it in, and let it harden. Just don't get any on the thread on the side of the stud that sticks out. It was hard as heck to get that stud out of my intake when I had to take it out to get the intake machined. It's not a highly stressed area so it should work well.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We ended up having to yank the intake manifold. There just wasn't enough run to apply enough torque for a self tap.

Couldn't find a 5/16 helicoil kit so we had to use 13mm.

Worked out nice though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts