Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One more time I've found lousy workmanship by the guy who once owned my car...he thought he was a mechanic and once more I've found evidence he was a bone head. Pulled the rear axles today to replace a bad seal on the drivers side. Spun the bearings to check them and noted a poc mark next to one of them. Removed the bearings to check and found the surface under the bearing all messed up. Previous owner used a torch to remove the bearings in the past and didn't even have enough sense to stop when he got to the inner race and cut right into the axle. I looked at 'em for an hour before I got up and went to the salvage yard to get replacements. I mean, how dumb can someone be? He ruined both axles simply because he was too cheap to take the axles to an automotive machine shop and have the bearings removed/replaced with a press.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
yah, ive heard of machine shops cutting a bearing off and gouging the axle... and customers being mad as hell too!

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
when I took my axles in I told htem under absolutely NO circumstances were they to torch my axles. You gotta be specific these days.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Getting old bearings off is simple. They are hardened and break really easy. Smash the outer bearing(hit with hammer). Then cut into race with cutoff wheel to help. Same hammer one wack two pieces w/no damage to axle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts