Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know what my mother's Mustang is worth. We want to settle her estate, and I promised her I would keep it in the family, so I need to pay the estate for it. It is a 66 coupe in original condition with 139 k mi. deluxe int., vinyl top, 6cyl, auto. no ps,pb,or a/c. It needs carpet, driver side floor pan, and the radio hole is butchered. Trans needs seals, needs brakes, wheel bearings, and exhaust. It runs well, with no smoke. Top and seats are in good original condition. Body is straight and it was repainted original color in 1983. Chrome is good. It is located in Kansas. She has owned it since 1973, and is 2nd owner. Any help you all can give will be appreciated very much

92 olds supercharged touring sedan (big mama's)
ranger 4x4-66 mustang coupe
78 honda cb 750 ( restoring )

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Rusty floor pan sometimes indicates that the cowl may be leaking. That could be a big unknown. The other stuff is relatively minor. If the car is close to what you stated, somewhere between $2K to $4K depending on the cowl condition. When, or if, has the engine/heads been rebuilt +-$500 to $1000. A little more detail could maybe get a closer price for you.
A way to check your cowls is to pour water into them and see if it leaks inside to the carpet and floorpan.

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I think a car like that would bring between $1000 and $2000 in my area.

I would suggest you take the car to a professional appraiser. Although we are Mustang Geniuses here on the forum, we haven't seen the car. It will also make the other beneficiaries more comfortable to have a professional unbiased opinion. Just tell the appraiser what your intentions are, so he doesn't inflate his appraisal for insurance purposes. Your auto insurance agent should be able to help you find one.

Coppertone's current condition:
http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/coppertone2.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to 1966conv the cowl does leak and the drive train is original, no overhaul. jrlord

92 olds supercharged touring sedan (big mama's)
ranger 4x4-66 mustang coupe
78 honda cb 750 ( restoring )

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
In that case, you're talking about $1200 to $2000 to professionally fix the cowl's. Sometime the engine will have to be rebuilt $350+ for the head, Bottom end intangible, having never had a rebuild.
My .02c puts the car between $1000 and $1500. Obviously has more sentimental value to family. You could easily spend $3000 or more at the blink of an eye here. Look on ebay, coupes are not really bring that much.

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

1 - 5 of 5 Posts