Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 93 mustang 302 engine and AOD transmission from a junkyard and want to have it installed in my 66. what is a good price? The guy ive talked to said it will be 4-5 grand to install, which includes fuel system/cooling upgrades and all the other parts. He also suggests going with a carb setup instead of the fuel injection that is on it. Curious as to what people's opinions are on that as far as gas mileage/performance/appearance whatever.

·
Registered
522 Posts
What kind of fuel system and cooling system upgrades is he talking about? If he wants to go carb vs. EFI, it seems like he is taking the need for fuel system upgrades out of the equation, since you wont need a high volume pump or return line. All that he would need to do is fit the block with a mechanical pump and attach your current line. Or is he talking about providing the carburetor for you as well?
Retrofitting an EFI engine into a classic is still a future project for me, so I dont have firsthand knowledge, but from what I have read, the difficult part is sorting out the wiring connections (again, unnecessary if he wants you to go carb).
To me, it sounds pretty expensive for a simple carbed 302 install.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Is this guy's name Ben Dover? At $55/hr, $4k is 72hrs. It took me, a first timer, 4hrs to pull the engine, and it takes less to reinstall. That's 6hrs. Prep and install carb & headers, convert to vintage front dress & associated...I'll say 20hrs to be generous. Give him a few hours to work out the bugs, and we're up to a whopping $1800 or so in labor costs.
--Kyle

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
4-5 grand to install!!! Does that include a kiss...because..never mind you get the pic.
One thing also you need for the carb version. Change the dizzy out. That dizzy is set for FI and the engine will not idle right.
One of my lastest installs was a 5.0 conversion. We carbed it. A 600 afb with a performer RPM...a f-303 cam, msd dizzy w/ hardened gear and msd 6 box. Total cost of labor was $1200 for the guy. I'll do them all day long for that.
Try doing this install yourself...and deep six the FI stuff. The performance of the carb 5.0 w/ the f303 MS cam was very impressive.
If the carb version is to be used you need the timing cover off your old motor and all the accessories w/p/alt/...you can get a 3 & 4 bolt harmonic balancer from Ford Mosprts for $125 so all your original pulleys work.
then when you raise the hood the only thing that will give the car away being a roller motor is the firing order and the small sparkplugs.
Remember also that the 5.0 is a 50 oz motor..the original is a 28 oz. Flywheels/balancer will have to be changed out.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can do a motor swap in under 8 hours. The late model engine drops right in since the motor mounts for the 66 fit the engine. I have an 89 5.0/T5 in my 69. The mechanics of the swap are straight forward. The time consuming and expensive part is the EFI install. For 4k you should be getting an efi conversion. I think the price is really high. You should ask for an itemized estimate showing what parts he plans to use.

·
Registered
967 Posts
If your 66 is a 6 cylinder then the price would not be out of line to perform all the necessary upgrades. 6 to 8 conversion requires new front steering linkage, spindles, hubs, brakes, wheels, rear axle, exhaust etc. The list just keeps on going. If your car is a factory v8 then find a new shop cause this guy is trying to screw you or doesn't want to do the job so he is quoting an insane price.

Ask for an itemized list of the tasks performed and then we can provide a better assessment

1 - 6 of 6 Posts