Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 93 mustang 302 motor/AOD transmission from a junkyard and want to have it installed in my 66. What is a good price for this? The guy i talked to said it would be 4-5 grand for the install which includes fuel system and cooling upgrades and all the other parts. He also suggests going with a carb setup instead of the fuel injection that is already on there. What are your guy's opinions on carb vs EFI for the 302 and is the price reasonable?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The price seems way high to me. I would have said about $1500 if it's going to be carbed, and add about another grand for the EFI installation. This is for labor only. He may be adding in a lot of parts that you'd need (oil pan, fuel pump, etc.).

Given a choice between carbed and EFI, I'd go EFI, hands down. EFI is just better, performance wise. The penalty is in the learning curve for us old farts, and the expense.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
With all the info and step by step available here and on other sites all you should need is for someone to do the R & R (heavy work)for you if you don't have the facilities. EFI is the only way to go. Otherwise, what are you accomplishing? Oh yea, that's way too high. :horror: Probably doesn't want to do it. Scary stuff ya know. If I didn't have mine to do I would invite you to drag it up here. But, I do and it's a long drive for you. I'll be glad to give you any solicited and unsolicited advise you want. I'm sure others will as well. You never know what you can do unless you try. :highfive:

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
You have a good year for both the 5.0 motor and also for the electronics. The tuner I spoke with recommends the 93 computers (not the 93 cobra computer) above all other years. The tune curve built into the computer is supposed to be very flexible to accomodate a wide range of conditions. There are different ones for AOD and stick.

There are also quite a few articles out there describing exactly what needs to be done to drop a 5.0 into a classic stang. Oil dipstick tube, timing cover, oil pan and accessory brackets (if you do not want to run a serpentine belt), cold air inlet pipe and air filter. The fuel system is not that much of a big deal, - an electric fuel pump, pressure regulator and return line to the gas tank. If you go to a junk yard and pull the engine wiring harness, sensors, and computer from a 93 5.0 with your trans, the cost of this swap will be probably $1,000 or less. I see a brand new oil pan selling at Kragens for $53, a timing cover runs new around $75, say $20 for a dipstick tube, another $45 for gaskets, a couple hundred at most for the harness, computer and sensors and used air inlet pipe, $65 for a K&N filter, and most of the expense is done (provided you drop it in yourself.)

Pulling the old engine and dropping in a new one is time consuming, but not technically difficult. Doing this yourself will give you time to clean and detail the engine compartment, clean up the undercarriage, change the engine and trans mount, etc. You will probably have to change the transmission crossmember for the aod for another $75 or so. Maybe shorten your driveshaft, less than $100.

For the quoted $5-6k, I could do some serious upgrading, including a completely different engine management system, say FAST or Accell Generation 8 system, plus an aftermarket intake, ignition, cam, heads, exhaust etc. I cannot see a weekend job of an engine swap costing $5-6k, unless there are major unknowns which need to be addressed.

Yes, EFI is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
EFI is my preference... but then again carbs are pretty reliable too these days... The cost differences between carb and EFI are:
Carb, Manifold, and I think the distributor...
For EFI you will need a fox body mustang gas pedal, accelerator cable, EFI computer (The one from the donor car), computer mounting bracket, EFI computer wiring harness, injector harness, EGR Solenoid, O2 sensor harness, O2 bungs welded into the exhaust pipes or headers, Electric fuel pump, reworked fuel sender to accomodate a new return fuel line, inertia switch circuit to shut off the fuel pump in case of a collision. Since the engine is 12 years old, you will probably want to go through all of the sensors, and also cleanup all of the other engine hardware.. On the cooling system, I don't think EFI requires anything different than a carb engine would. The price seems high to me, but on the other hand the EFI setup does require a lot more hardware, and considerably more time to install. I'm not so sure on the AOD transmission, but I suspect it would be much like a T5 install where you would need a new driveshaft, and rear transmission cross member. The exhaust system would likely need to be reworked as well. Also, I've heard that the late model 5.0 headers do not fit between the early model shock towers, so you will likely need early model headers.

Then theres the 'what do I do with the air pump, and AC and power steering pump on the 5.0 motor.. relocating brackets, idler pulleys, or convert it from serpentine belt to standard v belt with a regular rotation water pump...

If 4-5K is in your budget, you might be better off buying a brand new crate motor and go with the carb, and a good working transmission.

I'm currently finishing up my EFI conversion. Considering I'm doing all the work myself, I don't mind throwing a little money at it... but now that I've written all this down, I can see why a professional installer would ask for several thousand dollars to do the upgrade... It is a lot of work, especially if you want it to look nice too!

Something you didn't mention is what engine is currently in the 66, if it's a 6 cylinder, you will need new engine mounts, front springs, and the cooling system upgrade, and exhaust system.. Are all these items factored in to the installation?

·
Registered
311 Posts
it really doesn't make much sense to buy a complete EFI engine and trans and then switch it to carb IMHO.

Wouldn't that be like buying a mustang II ifs front end and then putting drum brakes on it?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point with the mustang 2 example.
More info: the car now has a 289 and front disk brakes so no upgrades are needed there. Also I have the harness and computer from the 93 already. From what i've heard (and i appreciate all the advice) it sounds like a high price which is what i figured and why i posted. I think the main thing is that he wants to upgrade everything with top of the line parts which is good but budget is also a concern. Also if the 289 already has headers will those work with the 302?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Headers? I don't see why not. OBTW, The drive shaft may be about an inch too long but I just cut that off the original yoke and it works just fine. The radiator needs to have the outlet moved to the drivers side for the serpentine belt set up. The p/s pump will work on your p/s with a line adapter. A/C compressor works with the original A/C system too. True, the exhaust will need to be modified as the AOD is a bit wider. I will be taking lots of photos of my installation and documenting challenges as I go for those that care to follow.

·
Registered
311 Posts
the more i hear about these swaps the more i wanna do it. i wonder if i could sell my 302/c4 for a couple bucks that i can put into going to a junkyard and pulling a 5.0 with t5.
that'd be awesome.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
I think the guy probably doesn't want to do it. I also think that you are getting Newport Beach prices. If you can't do it yourself go to a few car shows until you find a car with the 5.0 swap in it & talk to the owner (the car doesn't necessarily have to be a Muatang). They will point you in the right direction. Go to Donut Derelicts in Huntington Beach on Saturday morning & look. Go to Bob's in Toluca Lake on Friday night (there is usually a falcon there with this swap & I have seen a Mustang fastback). Just relax & take your time. Get all the info you can & then decide who you want to do the work if you can't. Good luck.

·
7,062 Posts
Do it yourself. You'll have a ball.

Stick with the EFI.

The headers will probably hit the AOD if they are longtube. Shorties will be OK, but plan on having your exhaust system reworked when you get done as the AOD is going to hit it in several spots...probably.

The fact the guy wants you to switch to a carb scares me more than the fact he wants to charge you 5 grand.

Phil

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My installation costs about $1700, including Aluminum Radiator, engine, trans & crossmember. It was DIY all the way. Most of the basic information has been provided here, except the high pressure fuel system you'llneed.
The absolute Bible for converting the ECC-IV harness is http://fordfuelinjection.com/ Read the whole site, & order whatever you need there, with confidence.
You'll find lots of help here at the VMF, too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts