Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a 3.50 geared third member ( i guess that's how you would say it) He said he'd sell me everything to convert my 3.00 open to 3.50 posi for $200, is that a fair price?
thanx

1970 351 Cleveland Mach I
First car, bought it in 8th grade, I'm now 17 and it's
loads of fun

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seems fair to me if the gears are in good shape. If it's an "N" case its an even better deal ! Make sure the 3.50 pumpkin takes 28 spline axles and not 31 spline axles. If it's an "N" case they will be 31 spline and you will need the axles as well. You will also need to change the axle seals if you switch to 31 spline axles. It might also be a good idea to freshen up the 3.50 pumpkin before you put it in, but you might not have to. My brother has a 70 Boss 302 and has amazing luck just bolting used parts into his car and everything works. I on the other hand usually rebuild anything used before I put it in. Also , if you do switch to the 31 spline axles , make sure they have the little metal band that the axle seals ride on BEFORE you put them in.

70 SCJ R-CODE MACH 1
88 GT

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice. They are 28 spline, but I haven't looked at them yet so I'm not sure what condition.

P.S. Is the conversion something that I can do at home?

1970 351 Cleveland Mach I
First car, bought it in 8th grade, I'm now 17 and it's
loads of fun

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure , just pull the axles ( you might need a slide hammer to do this ) and then drain the rear end , unbolt the pumpkin and pull it out. Watch out , they are heavy. If you are changing to a posi unit you will need to add friction additive to the rear when you put the new oil in.

70 SCJ R-CODE MACH 1
88 GT

·
Registered
311 Posts
You can also pull axles using a heavy chain by whipping the chain and poping them out. This is low buck but it works.

Don
1965 Convertible, 351W, Tremec, 9", continuous "improvements"
1996 Explorer XLT - daily driver
2000 Taurus - wife's driver
2001 Giant OCR3 - my 2 wheel road warrior for getting in shape

1 - 5 of 5 Posts