Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from the ad

v8, 289 Runs good

Power Steering and brakes. 1 year old carb.

I called the guy and all parts are stock besides carborator as mentioned and battery and alternator as expected. The exterior appears tobe in decent shape from the pictures with expected wear and tear. Both rear quarter panels have some bondo work done, how extensive I do not know, but enough for it to be mentioned and the passenger side floor is rusted through. The front seats are in need on reupholstering with signifigant tears. The engine apparently runs fine and the transmission is also in working order. (automatic 3 speed)

Given this information what price range sounds decent and what other information should I ask for when I talk to him next.

Also anyone have any idea what I am generally looking at for cost in terms of metal work for replacing the floor?

quick replies appriciated!

·
Registered
440 Posts
1,000 to 20,000+ with the information you have provided. What body style, What 289? C, A, or K code? Disc brakes? deluxe interior, A/C, GT? These thing can make a huge difference in price. As far as metal and bodywork, To have floors and rear quarters replaced and paint I would expect a reputable shop to charge 10,000+/-. With more information or better yet pictures the collective VMF can give you a mutch better idea as to value.

PS: If there is floor rot there is likely cowl and possibly frame and torque box rust.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
There was only a C code 289 in 68. Can't be a GT, but may have the deluxe interior and maybe disc brakes. From the rest of the description, I would say 1.5K-2K (no, I didn't leave out a zero) depending on what else has been replaced with cheap parts (cheesy steering wheel) or hacked (like the underdash harness). Sounds like a beater car. You can do the body work. Take a welding class. Look on line for the sheet metal prices at the Mustang parts vendors. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts