Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, this is a stupid question. "Prices will vary widely". But I'm trying
to find out if I'm looking at $200-$300 or $800-$900. The C4 is original and still
works fairly well, but I'm planning a higher stall converter and shorter rear end gears,
both of which will put more torque into the trans. I figure an ounce of prevention...

So has anyone in the Northeast had a trans rebuilt recently?

·
Registered
522 Posts
How about doing it yourself? I paid roughly $85 for all the parts in the transmission. It was not really hard at all, and everything even went right on mine up until the point I started switching valve bodies and adjusting bands..../forums/images/icons/smile.gif My 2400 rpm converter alone cost $350, so if you are including that in your rebuild estimate, i would look more towards the $500-600 range on the low end.

Dave

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I paid about $500 for mine a few years ago on the left coast. Price included a $50 core charge (didn't have a core), new stock converter and a stage II shift kit.

I agree with DAVZ289, though. The next one I need rebuilt will be rebuilt by me. After the AOD swap in my car, the mystique of the automatic transmission is no longer there. I now realize they are much easier to work on than I'd ever thought in the past.

·
Registered
977 Posts
There is a place in Wixom Michigan that sells Performance trannies and they are very reasonable. I was thinking about buying a T5 from Motorsport and I got reffered to this place instead. I am not sure of the name of the place right now. I can get a competition T5 for around $900.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts