Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacement for my '96, with 233,000 miles is $33,000 OTD!
After giving me trade in, my payments will be $580 a month for five years... not!
So, this weekend, I'm rebuilding my trucks front end. Radius arm insulators, I beam bushings, ball joints and tie rods to be done. Not as fun as Mustang work but neither is funny tire wear and handling issues. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I feel your pain...that is why I will keep driving my old '92 Ranger until it dies completly, then I will plant flowers in it, and find another used truck...I won't make those payments.....Hell, my house payment is onlt $750.00 a month.....I won't make a vechile payment that is almost as much as my housepayment....

·
Registered
422 Posts
We went looking at trucks a couple weekends ago, to replace my 1982 Chevy(sorry) s-10 pick-up, with 251,000 miles. The sales pressure and sales tatics of the sales people was pathitic. I almost felt sorry for the dumb bastard who tryed and sell me a Suburban, saying it has all the room you need for your family, because I brought my wife and two kids with me. That may be true, but the silly boy wanted $31,000, and over $550.00 a month for 72 months. I intitally went in there to look at some of the Ford rangers and s-10's they had, for under $10,000. Then we got to thinking, for a few hundered bucks we could dump into the truck I have now and get it running great. After pricing some insurance my payments would be double, out here in Arizona insurance rates are rediculous. Full coverage on a SUV or sports car. Ya, sure i'll write another check out for $250.00 a month, along with the $550.00 car payment.So, We decided to keep my old truck and when it dies, to purshase another used one. I paid $3000.00 for this truck in 1989, and have driven it everyday. It costs me now $18.00 to register every two years, and $20.00 a month for liability insurance. Sorry, but I just cant justify the new car/truck payments, or prices thier charging for new vehicles either.

G

·
0 Posts
My daily driver is an 1984 Buick Skyhawk with flapping door skins and holes as big as your fist(Ohio rot). $300.00 and 151,000 miles later, it's the ONLY reason I can afford to own my stang.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Last new car I got was my 93 E150 van. Don't think I will get anouther new car. Just to much money.

I'm what you call a bottom feeder. When someone needs to get rid of a car that the dealer will not take on trade they call me. My DD is an old 86 Cherokee I got for free. Had to do a little work on it, got about a grand into it, but have had it for almost 3 years now. 225k on it. My wifes DD is a Plymouth Grand voiager. Picked up for $1500. Looks like its off the showroom floor, but has 160k on it. Runs great. It does help when you can fix things yourself. I could not afford to pay people to fix the little things that go wrong with an older car. Also you need spairs. When one car dies, just take anouther till you get it fixed.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
I've been keeping my eyes open for a Crew Cab 4x4 PSD. Something a couple of years old in the 50k-60k mile range is running in the low $20k range. Considering how durable these rigs are, anything under 100k miles in vg condition might be an option.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,744 Posts
Geez. We currently own an 89 F150 ($600) An 86 Mustang ($400) And 82 F150 ($500- getting a fresh engine after 6 years of use) An 86 Aerostar ($250- Ehay auction). Son in law is driving an 86 Mustang ($200- Ehay again). I won't count my 67 as it not drivable or licensed (but ...$400). All vehicles were bought for cash and as near as I can figure I spent no more than $100 to make each one basically roadworthy. Each paid for free and clear for the same or less than 1 new truck payment.
Gypsy Economics 101.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Bought my '99 Tahoe last winter used for $20k less than new and my payments are still over $400 a month. Luckily I have a company truck and SWMBO works out of the house so it only gets driven 30 miles or less a week. Having three kids was my main reason to buy it, but I plan to keep it forever. Hopefully in 5 years I should be down to 1 kid in the house and be able to finally own a 2 door as the main driver! It'll be a USED car too!

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
I thought i was the only "poor fool" that had to drive an 86 S10 with 254,000 on it! Seems like everyone around here has those monster suv's and don't think nothing about running about 2 ft from my bumper when I'm already doing 5 mph over the limit! I swear I'm gonna see how fast one of those things can stop one of these days, just not in my stang...

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
When I bought my '96 PSD a couple of years ago, I found financing near impossible for the truck because it had passed 100k miles. Nevermind the fact these rigs are good for 225-350k miles (one guy on Ford-Diesel.com has 433k miles!). Trying to find a low milage one wasn't easy. Most of the time they wanted an arm and a leg. One I did find was void of any options. It actually had a AM radio, although I can't say the last time I saw a just-AM radio in a late model vehicle. Have upgraded mine with an intercooler and a host of other knick-knacks. Guess it'll be the last truck I'll need for a LONG time.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
it's called STICKER SHOCK..I had it when I looked at new Silverado pick ups..I'll keep mine until it rolls over and kicks its tires in the air

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Started the front end rebuild at 8AM, finished at 7PM.
What a job! Press fit ball joints, press fit I beam bushings, replaced radius arm iolators, changed the fuel filter and replaced the cam postion sensor. I am beat!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts