Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like some of you, I never bother paying attention to the price of a case of motor oil, just the name brand (e.g. Castrol, Valvoline, etc.), and the weight. Today, I had to buy a case of 10W40 for Maggotwaggon, and Shell Oil was $11.04 and Valvoline was $20 a case. Neither was a sale price or special deal.

Egads! There's only 3-4 manufacturers (not labels) of motor oil, and a price differential of two is amazing! I never noticed that before. Maybe I should do that more in the future....

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
You know, when I think of all the engines I've seen over the years where they ran the oil until it was gone or black before changing it, that 20.00 or so I spend for oil/filters each year (on the D-coder) is likely the least expensive investment I've made in it and will likely give me the best ROI...well, maybe next to the air I put in the tires...*G*

Yeah, I still run Valvoline...bad habit I've had since my racing days...

Guess the days of 5.00 oil changes (including filter) are gone for good, eh?? *G*

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm a new guy to the forum with a 65 inline.. you mentioned synthetic oil.. Does anyone use the stuff in their clasic cars??? Mine is tight and drip free, would it be 'better' to use the fake stuff or keep on using dino juice?? I've used Castro in all my cars for the last 30+ years with no problems.. Thanks Martin

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Hey I've got a couple of original un-opened cans of Shell Oil in the round cans from the 70's, you know, the ones you had to use a spout that punched the top and used to pour, I'll sell you for $20 bucks! hehe! Then just stick them in plain sight in the garage, and every time you think about the $20 for a whole case nowadays, just look at these, as a reminder, that it could of been worse, you could of bought 12 of these! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Hot Rod just did a story on synthetic and it yieled 10 to 15 more horse power on th dyno with synthetic oil and fluids. You be the judge.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Well, you wouldn't want synthetic oil in an engine right after its rebuilt. I waited 1500 miles and even that wasn't enough. My oil consumption after over 60,000 miles is almost nothing. Always need to change the filter at regular intervals. Synthetic oil doesn't create nearly the nasties that dinosaur oil does on the cylinder walls and combustion chamber due to its VERY low volitility during the combustion process. Our 87 Camry with 140,000 miles uses about a quart every 10,000 miles. If you have an oil leak it can make it worse. Synthetics are VERY slippery,flow better and as a result find leaks easier. In the old days, the 70's, there were some seal compatibility issues.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
That was a good article on synthetic that Hot Rod ran this month.....

I'm due for a change when I swap an oil pan - and that article made me want to go with the synthetic....But I think I'll go with the dino juice one more time just to be sure that the rebuilt engine is properly broken in, etc.....Dickson

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Egads! I had better check up on what we are paying for Chevron 15W-40! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif We buy the stuff in 55 gallon drums and use up several of those in a year...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts